Prince Snow Farm

6.19.2016

Farm to Table

I’ve decided in my next life, (or possibly when I retire), I am going to pioneer an affordable Farm to Table dinner.



Just to prepare you, I am going to get on my soapbox for a minute, (or two).



You see, I’m a gardener.  It’s in my blood. I’ve gardened since I was twelve. I’ve dug and hoed and seeded and coddled. I’ve weeded and staked and conquered. I’ve mourned disease and celebrated bounty.



A flower isn’t just a flower to me. It is saturated pigment, shapely petals and supporting stems .You see, I can’t really draw or paint. But I can masterfully use Earth’s palette to create beauty and joy. It is my means of artistic expression.



So when I hear about Farm to Table dinners….I get a little mushy inside. I imagine the expanse of tables covered in white linens….jam jars overflowing with zinnias and cosmos….yellowed fields bending their overgrown hay….blue skies giving way to laughter and good conversation.



And then I see the ticket price! Whoa baby! Way out of my budget. And definitely not affordable as a couple. Which brings me to the top of my soapbox.



 Farm to Table dinners have become elitist, which bewilders me.
Why? Because the local farmers, floral growers and meat and dairy suppliers are sooo down to Earth; yet, this time and place meant to highlight their hard work has become unattainable for us common folk.




And before you say it….I know about cost, and not undercutting hard work, and not expecting farmers to donate. I get it.



But I also get that we can still have this experience without having the finest cheeses, meats, produce, flowers and wine all at once!



How about a tomato tasting party with a few nice wines? Or a springtime dinner with early pickings like garlic scapes made into pesto or early greens sautéed with local wines and mustards.




How about local steaks with local spuds…
Or cucumber sandwiches…
Or stuffed peppers…
Or a pumpkin pie bake off?



Bigger may seem better to some….but when bigger drives the price up, making something as simple as good local food and drink unattainable to all, something is terribly wrong….



…which has led me to think of alternatives, rather than just complaining.




For now, I will pick my own produce and flowers, shop local, and cook tasty farm dinners right in my own kitchen, right down to the
white tablecloth and flower filled jam jar.



I hope you will too.






Kudos to so many locals here on Massachusetts' Farmcoast and beyond, for working the land, for following your dreams, for working long hours to bring us healthy food for our families.






8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea, so many more of us could enjoy it!! I have read about the Farm to Table dinners for several years and thought how lovely it would be to go to one, but the ticket price is exactly why I can't. Maybe I can try something with that idea here in Iowa. So thank you!! Love reading your blog. such beautiful pictures and words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son lives in Boston and we live in Minnesota. Our dream is to retire to the Cape area. We'll be the first to sign up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I make a serious effort to buy foods that are grown in Texas at the grocery store. Many of the restaurants around us serve foods grown locally and it's such a nice way to support neighbors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an idea.. why don't you host an affordable farm to table potluck and make it free to all who bring a dish from their own produce? ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is on spot Monica, I agree with everything you say and I love the comment by Teresa...makes sense. I know that a lot of the venues where there are 'Farm to Table' events use the profits to maintain the place, whether it be a true farm or perhaps a historical site. Many times the cost for tickets goes to good use. Maybe I'm wrong. In any event, fresh food and locally grown will never be taken for granted.

    Wishing you all the best with your gorgeous garden this season! :)

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. We planted tomatoes again this year and can't wait to see if they provide more than last year.

    We shop at our local produce stands and shop at Farmers' Market and shop at Whole Foods for local produce.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Monica, your soap-box 'rant' was pure poetry,( I agree with EVERY word. I love your ideas)
    Your photos leave this garden-lover so. so happy to be part of one of nature's best offerings, yes, even though we mourn the loss of plants with disease etc.! thank-you for sharing your passion and re-inspiring mine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I'd come for that meal. I love farm to table restaurants. We're big fans of our local farmers market. I love this time of year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...