2.17.2016

Garden Planning 2016 (including seed sources and resources)



When I was 10 and had a little garden patch behind my parents garage, I never dreamed that my love of velvety coleus and fascination with sticky blossomed petunias would carry me 40 years forward and would be my guiding light.


Since we have lived here in Coastal Massachusetts (also nicknamed The Farm Coast), for the past 17 years, I have always gardened. When the kids were young we had a small vegetable garden. Years later we planted an extensive perennial garden, but when I became pregnant with my second child and had a few complications early on, I was told I had to stay away. Thus the beautiful perennial garden became overrun with weeds and a few years later, was just a memory at the bottom of the sloping hill, just before the woods.


Seven years later, in 2010, we planted a large vegetable garden in the space shown above. After hours and hours of daily weeding and no end in site, we knew we had to come up with a new plan. In 2012 we built the raised bed garden. We filled the beds with an organic compost from a local horse farm. Eventually we laid down a thick weed block on the pathways. This garden has been going strong ever since. Raised beds allow for low maintenance, easy weeding, and are easy to irrigate.




I always joke that once you get the plants established, the garden just kind of grows itself.

Cosmos Double Click Mix

As I started planning Prince Snow Farm 2016, I started thinking about expanding my flower production. I did a bit of research, built a small seed collection based on what I know grows well during hot, humid Massachusetts summers, and the plan was made!


I thought it might be helpful if I shared my seed sources and other go to resources for planning.

Vegetables: I have always bought my veggie seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. This non-GMO seed company has an amazing assortment of vegetable and flower seed. 

My favorites:

Pink Brandywine Tomato
Yellow Brandywine Tomato
Dr.Wyche's Yellow Tomato
Hartman's Yellow Gooseberry Tomato
Martino's Roma Tomato
Blue Lake Bush Beans
Early Scarlet Globe Radish
Big Boston Lettuce
Boston Pickling Cucumbers
Chinese Miniature White Squash
Squash Mongogo Du Guatemala
Squash Patisson Golden Marbre Scallop
Squash Connecticut Field
Boston Marrow Squash
Big Max pumpkin
White Scallop Squash
Pumpkin Jaune Gros De Paris
Butternut Squash Squash Galeux d'Eysines 

My favorite place to purchase organic seed potatoes is Wood Prairie Farm in Maine.

I also grow a variety of herbs, mostly purchased locally. 

Flowers: I always buy a random assortment of Zinnia seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds when I order my veggies.

This year's plan: (and I'm saving $ by using my leftover veggie seeds from last year):

Knee-High White Cosmos:Snow Sonata
Kneehigh Cosmos : Sonata Mix
Dancing Petticoats Cosmos
White Seashells Cosmos
Double Click Cosmos
Little Ladybirds Cosmos
Double Butterfly Cosmos
Apricot Blush ZinniasBlue Point Bouquet Zinnias
Cabaret Zinnias
MightyLion Zinnias
Raspberry Sorbet Zinnias

Celosia Plume Mix
Black-Eyed Susan Sahara
Black-Eyed Susan Chiminee Mix
Dusty Miller New Look
Iceland Poppies Sherbet Mix
Bells of Ireland
Snapdragon
Chinese Forget-Me-Not
Snow Puff Cosmos
Purity Cosmos
Double Click Mix Cosmos
Queen Anne's Lace
Zinferella Peach Zinnia
Oklahoma Salmon Zinnia
Benary'sGinat Salmon Zinnia
Gleam Salmon Nasturtium
Dahlia Cornel

sunrich orange sunflowers
procut gold sunflowers

Starburst Panache Sunflower

assorted dahlias

And there you have it! I also cannot emphasize enough how all of these seed sellers are also a wealth of knowledge! I have taken down many notes from all of their sites to guide me on my journey.

 Floret Flowers has been EXTREMELY helpful in my planning. I have read from their blog
 daily for inspiration and ideas.

 I have also discovered a new friend close by. Debbie Bosworth is a flower farmer here in Massachusetts. She has a great blog with lots of tips! It can be found here. 

Gardening is about planning and tending and coddling….but it is about a love of nature. Gardening is my art. I express myself through what I grow. 
And I wouldn't have it any other way.

PLEASE SHARE IN THE COMMENTS WHAT YOU WILL BE PLANTING THIS YEAR!!















16 comments:

  1. Your garden is so picturesque! I wish we had one like that. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa! Believe me there are also some not so picturesque places around this years! I just keep the camera away! :)

      Delete
  2. Such a pretty post! I will be planting zinnias and other heat tolerant plants. Around here gardening is also about endurance because it's not uncommon for us to have temps above 100 for days in a row with very little rainfall. :)

    I'd love for you to link with Thoughts of Home on Thursday tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacey! Zinnias are my favorite go to flower! It must be so hard to plant in constant heat!

      Delete
  3. OH, I have given my Dad the Baker Creek Seed Catalog and I think he has ordered from them. If I am not mistaken, I think I remember that he man who owns it or his wife does the artwork for the cover. Let me know if I am right, I have things like this in my brain!
    One thing that I most certainly will plant will be the seeds from my Mexican sunflower from last year...the butterflies LOVED it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Baker Creek is awesome! I'm not sure about the cover…the one I have is photographed. Ooh I love Mexican Sunflower. Good Luck with it and share photos of those beauties!

      Delete
  4. Your blog is stunningly beautiful and this post is amazing!

    I garden in South Texas- which can be tricky.
    I am getting ready to plant my zinnias and tomato plants.

    Thank you for joining our 2nd Thoughts of Home on Thursday party!

    *pinning to our TOHOT board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so honored to be a part! I think if I could only grow two plants you have chosen my two absolute favorites! Thanks for the compliments!

      Delete
  5. Your raised bed garden is very inspiring. I had a huge veggie garden years ago and an invasive weed took over. I dismally have not been able to get rid of it, especially when I turn the soil over, plant and start to water. Agony. So I'm thinking of raised beds this spring and your photo is spot on.

    I absolutely love Renee's Garden. It helps that her seed packages are so charming! :) I do a lot of perennials but from plants and bulbs. We have a very short spring here in the Midwest so we generally don't have enough time for seeds to germinate.

    Looking forward to following along with you this spring and summer.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping by JAne. Yes,we have a short spring as well. I start most seeds in the house 8-12 weeks ahead! With the exception of seeds like zinnias,cosmos, squashes, pumpkins,beans, and a few others which I find do best as direct seed. Our growing season is short but plentiful. We are blessed.

      Delete
  6. You know, I never do much planning with my garden, but lately I am thinking that I need to grow flowers from seeds. I think I need to head to the nursery to buy seeds this weekend.

    Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet I always adore your gardens. Quite honestly, this is the first year I have truly done a lot of planning.Usually picking the seeds is it. But with my change to growing lots of flower varieties, and having to start many in the house, I want to do it right! This will be a little test for me. Perhaps in another 6 years I can be a flower farmer :)

      Delete
  7. It's great that you have your own garden where you can plan everything you want and at most vegetables and fruit - clean, organic and free. Your flowers are so beautiful too.

    Kind regards,
    Painting services London

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was such a great post! For the first time ever I am going to attempt a garden by planting seeds.
    It is such a joy to have you join the gathering at Thoughts of Home on Thursday. You really help to elevate it to something very special.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, found you through Thoughts of Home. I too have a love of gardening that stemmed from my childhood. I am counting the days until I can drop my first seeds. Thanks so much for sharing your seed ordering catalogs. Going to hop over and order some tonight. I always plant Zinnias. I save the seeds from year to year, but would like some new varieties. Also love Cosmos. Like you say, once you plant your garden does it's own thing. My Cosmos pop up randomly along with my Larkspur here and there. I love randomness in the garden!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! that was a cool post.I like it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...