Prince Snow Farm

11.26.2015

Happy Thanksgiving!

Ever since I was a little girl, I have always had a rumbly tumbly feeling of excitement as Thanksgiving approaches. There is something ever so special about family and friends gathering together ‘round a table of home-cooked food, sharing stories and laughter.

Mom and Dad always hosted Thanksgiving. Way before they had a dining room set, we lined up folding tables and celebrated. Mom would let me write the nametags and set the tables. I was also in charge of the pickle trays and stuffed celery, always arranged in the sparkly glass dishes Mom had received as wedding gifts many years before.

Years have passed, but we still head back to Mom and Dad’s house for this special day. We each cook a few sides and the pieces of the puzzle mesh perfectly once we all arrive. The house smells just like it should and the chatter and excitement still fill the air.

Today will be different. Dad will not be there in his chair. Our first Thanksgiving without him. I have a lump in my throat as I write this. But I will force myself, not to wallow in sadness and loss today, but to remember the years of thanks that came before…years filled with family and football and an endless stream of pies.

Happy Thanksgiving.

7 comments:

  1. *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*:._.:*~*:._.:
    *H*A*P*P*Y* *T*H*A*N*K*S*G*I*V*I*N*G*!*!*
    *:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*~*:._.:*:._.:*~*:._.:

    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad your father will not be there this year but you will all be able to remember him together.
    Merle.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am sorry for the loss of your father. I hope you had a wonderful time with your family and I hope you all recalled funny stories and memories of your Dad.
    The image of the sparkly glass dishes at Thanksgiving that was a wedding present for your parents is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kay! It was a lovely day,with family and friends.I hope yours was lovely too!

      Delete
  4. He may not be present in the flesh, but he's there with you nonetheless. Just in a different form, not perceivable with the 5 senses, dear one.
    Much love to you, your friend across the miles,
    Monica xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...