Prince Snow Farm

10.17.2015

You Have My Heart

This morning as my math class took an exam, sunlight spilled across eleven year old heads on one side of the room, while dark skies and thunder loomed in the shadows. A cold front was making its way through. It carried a few lingering booms and a splattering of hail, leaving sunny autumn skies and happy sparrows outside my courtyard window.






Why do I grieve summer! Why can I not rejoice in the glory of autumn and the notion that winter will wrap the gardens in a cover of white…ultimately giving way to the rebirth of spring.? I know it is true! I have lived through almost a half century of these magical seasonal changes.


Yet the sorrow is true and my affection steadfast.


I trimmed the last roses this afternoon. They smell just as a rose should. I drank in their aroma, the curve and texture of each petal.  And in my quiet reflection, I realized my hesitance comes not from selfishness, but rather from an innate passion that has been nurtured since childhood.

Summer, you have my heart. 


12 comments:

  1. What lovely words you have chosen to say your last farewell to the final blooms of summer..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you! Parting is such sweet sorrow….but I'll cope :)

      Delete
  2. I agree. I adore fall but summer is magical in its own right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore fall as well! But summer has my heart. Thanks for popping by!

      Delete
  3. You are an amazing writer!

    You probably adore summer all the more because of the winters you have. I love summer with all my heart too but it has been 95 here this week. I'm ready for the change. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Stacey! Wow 95! It's funny, we had 70's last weekend the high today will be in the 40's!

      Delete
  4. Summer has my heart too!!! As I read your words, I couldn't help but agree!!! :) The thing is...I LOVE LOVE LOVE summer and I really enjoy fall, but fall only gets half of my heart because I know that winter is on its heels. :(

    Gorgeous roses!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos and sentiments!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another summer lover here. What I love the most about it are the long hours of daylight. I love sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! The sunshine! From the morning I wake up until almost bedtime! That's exactly it!

      Delete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...