10.08.2015

Understanding





I'm standing on a broken piece of curb. It's recess time. There are kids everywhere running and screaming and laughing and playing. It's one of my favorite times of day. The sunlight filters through the woods and spills across the field. Sometimes I walk with my teacher. Sometimes I slide down the rusty slide in my Polly Flinders dress. But most of the time I am here, where worn blacktop meets grassy ball field....the estuary of the playground. And it is here that I learn to understand. Friends gather near me , their fourth grade problems spilling forth in an endless stream. I listen, quietly, as always. I nod occasionally. I smile. I listen some more. I don't offer quick fixes or words of wisdom. I simply listen. Perhaps it was here that I first learned to put the needs of others before my own.


Read my other posts HERE

4 comments:

  1. Disclaimer: My views. Which differ from your views. Do not publish this, if you choose.

    The saying is nice, as are your words. But! Whooooooooa... "...learned to put the needs of others before my own." Where did that "Rule" come from??????

    Having empathy, and listening, are lovely. But "...learned to put the needs of others before my own." is beyond the pale, to me.

    If we are unique individuals, it would seem that we have the right, to become all that is in us, to become. How are we to do this, with your "Rule"?

    How can we answer the question "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?” (Mary Oliver) if we are always putting others, before ourselves?

    Hugs, Tessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tessa, first off, your views are always welcomed here....I view my role here on Earth as that of "caretaker"...and quite honestly, I have learned to care more for myself by first caring for others. I am not out of the equation. Far from it. But I feel that I am not the only part of the equation. My self-love comes from the invisible huddle I experience with family and friends on a daily basis. It allows me to think, thrive and give...both to others, and myself.

      Delete
  2. Being a listener is an important trait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Carol. You are a wonderful listener.

      Delete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...