10.18.2015

Kindness



I have two things that I have repeated to my children since they were too small to even comprehend what I was talking about: 1.) Keep joy in your heart, no matter what, everyday. 2.) Be kind to everyone, because you never know what they are going through. I have also tried, as a mom, wife, daughter, sister and teacher to follow the same philosophy in my own life, and to model it daily. At times I think I fail, or maybe at least falter a bit. And then, there are days that I feel content, knowing that I have given my heart as freely as possible.

No one is perfect.... and I have to remind myself of this when I am confronted with a situation where someone hasn't quite treated someone else with kindness. Words can be so hurtful. The tween and teen years are so difficult to navigate...add the notion of thinking of other's feelings to the mix, and it can be an even tougher road to navigate. But as a mom, this is where our kids are counting on us. Show them the path, steer them when necessary, even if they sneer, or shed tears, or roll their eyes. Let them absorb what you show them, let them respond  to what you tell them. Keep communication open. Let them talk. Let them explain. Let them know that what they think is important too.

If we spend our days criticizing and gossiping, and judging, our children will soon follow suit. Lead by example. Smile. Hold a door for someone. Drop off cans at the food bank. Volunteer at shelter. Make someone's favorite dinner. Turn down the covers and put a love note on a pillow. Mow your neighbor's lawn while they are at work, drop off cookies to a friend....be there for others in whatever way presents itself.

1.) Keep  joy in your heart EVERYDAY!
2.) Be kind to EVERYONE, because we don't know what they are going through.



16 comments:

  1. I think kindness is really important. I emphasize it to my own children as well as my students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true!! The Golden Rule for life, even in those topsy-turvey teen years:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the things Steve and I try to do is to keep negativity at bay. It's easier to be kind if you are in a positive mood. We have a saying that we use when one of us gets too negative in a conversation - politics can get us both down! Whoever is tired of hearing negative comments simply says, "that's not i our script!" It works. We change the topic, smile more and don't look at others in a negative way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that! I'm going to use that one on my husband! I'll get back to you with the results! :)

      Delete
  4. This is a great reminder every single day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice! I especially like the one about kindness since everyone is fighting their own inner battle. (Can't remember who said that...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. If only we could spread the word!

      Delete
  6. So true. Kindness benefits the giver as much as the receiver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a daily gift to ourselves! Great thought!

      Delete
  7. Oh, so true. Everyone is fighting his/her own battle everyday. Great thoughts for how to help children learn to live.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BB! Everyone deserves a fair shake!

      Delete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...