9.16.2015

Hang On


"Hang On my babies, Mama will coddle you til the first frost. But would you ripen already gosh darn it! "

Yep, that's me…talking to my tomatoes; but a similar conversation could be heard with the turkeys perched on an already creaky branch above my head, shadowing the back of the garden, "Listen guys, you've eaten too many seeds and insects this summer, and I'm not even sure it's natural for turkeys to roost in trees. You look awfully awkward up there. Come down at once!"

Or to the sunflowers…"My how you have grown…just yesterday you were toddling about my knees, playing with the tarragon and sage, and now your heads are dancing against the blue sky of autumn."

I am thankful that my garden is down the hill and beyond the crimson tipped meadow grasses. I don't have to answer to anyone here. The catbird cocks his head at me and I ask him how his day was and if migration is near.I ask him if his babies will be traveling with him.

I inquire of the bees if this trip to my still showy zinnia blossoms will be their last of the season, or if they will gather up as much pollen as they can before what promises to be a (more) harsh winter.

It doesn't feel awkward, or odd to talk to the birds and the bees (and the flowers and the trees). It feels wonderful. And liberating. And natural. 

So hang on my babies! Mama is here! And I will coddle you until the first frost.


16 comments:

  1. It's ok Monica, those of us who love are plant talk to them right along with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that:)
    Good luck with the tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Monica, I talk to my plants too! They love it don't they, Some people even let them listen to music!
    We are definitely birds of a feather:)
    Xo
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness others do this as well!

      Delete
  4. Oh what a delightful post! Full of whimsey and sweetness. Thank you!!!!!

    Oh I must go talk to our green tomatoes. Perhaps I can hurry them along, to ripening. Before! The first frost.

    Gentle hugs,
    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your first frost holds out long enough for vine ripened tomatoes. A homegrown tomato tastes just like sunshine. You usually don't get that kind of flavor from the ones in the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's happening! Finally! The big,medium and small all are ripening!

      Delete
  6. Oh, I know just how you feel!! My tomato plants are loaded with tomatoes that simply will not ripen. I've harvested some but not nearly as many as I could if they were ripe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine are finally ripening! I have been bringing them in when they just start to blush,and they ripen beautifully on the counter in front of a sunny window!

      Delete
  7. got that tomato situation too... red ones, green ones, ones the size of pearls...flowers. Do I fry the green ones? pickle them? bring them in (plums in pots)?...cover them with plastic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say give them another couple of weeks if possible!

      Delete
  8. Sept. 21

    Re: Your comment in my blog... "also...going through some nonsense" Ahhhh yes, what a nice way to put it!

    Another Dear Reader said that Mercury is in retrograde, which I know nothing about... But the aspects of it, certainly fitted my present situation!!!

    I will be honored to walk with you, through our individual "bits of some nonsense".... It always helps, to know someone else is walking a similar path.

    Gentle hugs,
    Tessa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...