8.19.2015

Back to School

Well, here's my annual post. As long as I have had a blog, I have written a back to school post, (seven years). Don't expect to see where to buy the most durable notebook, or who has the highest percentage off of school clothes. It's not that kind of post.  It's a post about me, as selfish as that may sound….about returning to my teaching job and leaving my kids and garden and home,,,,and a certain adorable little pug.


Let's get this part out of the way first. Yes, I am grateful to have a job. Yes, I am more than grateful to have this time with my children. I have always been thankful for this. But I cannot help wondering what it would be like to be a stay at home mom. I thoroughly enjoy being home. I love to putter, clean, and decorate.  I get pure joy from baking or planning a meal , or serving up a yummy breakfast. And that's where I struggle a bit. I leave before my kids…middle school starts early! The plus is that I am home for them in the afternoon. The drawback is that I am not there
to make breakfast, make sure lunches and homework are tucked safely in backpacks.I am not there to smooth the top of a ponytail, or to run forgotten homework to school.



I have been writing for several magazines and websites recently. I adore sharing my passion for gardening…for growing food to sustain our family.  I enjoy photographing nature in all seasons, and have been privileged to share essays and photographs with several sources close to my heart. I am actively pursuing an avenue that will allow me to retire within the next few years to follow my dreams. 


Soon I will begin my 24th year teaching. And I will give 100% of "me" to my students. Because, no matter what my dreams are, this is my current reality. And the ocean of faces before me each day will be counting on my guidance, my lessons, my compassion.


So whether I am teaching about blossoms that reach for the sky...




….about smooth, striped squash that will end up on our dinner table….



…or about 6th grade math and science, I will always promise to teach from the heart. Every day.

16 comments:

  1. I had ideas of becoming a teacher at one time but not the right stuff but admire others who do it.
    Merle...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Merle,it has been a good profession, but lots of mandates have soured it a bit.

      Delete
  2. I feel your pain! Like you I love to putter, garden, cook & decorate. I too will give 100% although 150% seems to be expected. I miss my hubs & pup during the day and always look forward to seeing them. I am lucky though, my hubs likes to drive me to and fro! A winning lottery ticket is all I need, it beats 7 more years! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sound like twins! Right down to the 7 years!

      Delete
  3. I know you will teach from the heart because that's what great teachers do. It's ok to have a different dream. You've given it your all for a long time. Keep pursuing the dream. You are one of the best writers out there and that will get you somewhere....along with your fabulous photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacey! I will continue to chase my dream…thanks for the support!

      Delete
  4. Your garden looks absolutely beautiful!

    xx
    Lauren Elizabeth
    Petite in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lauren! Glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  5. And I was thinking you just took the summer off from writing and instead were wrapped up in your garden and a gazillion other things. Well looks like I had the garden part right. It looks great. Who better to teach than you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a busy summer Larry! Thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  6. As someone who loves to be home, I am thoroughly enjoying being retired.

    Teaching is a wonderfully rewarding job, but it is all consuming. I hope you are able to put all of your skills together so that you can pursue your dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watch the enjoyment you get from putting,walking, gardening,kayaking, and you encourage me on!

      Delete
  7. I hope you are able to retire from teaching and make income from home. I was able to stay home until all the kids were in school and then worked 3/4 time for 15 years as the executive director of a non-profit corp. that ran a historic building. I love your photos! I just posted about our 12 day camping trip at a pretty lake.. hope you can hop over to visit. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like it was a perfect schedule! I'll pop by! Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  8. I wish you good luck in pursuing your dream vocation, and I'm impressed that you still give so much to your students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. I think I was just brought up that way…if you do it…you do it with all of your heart and soul. Hope your summer has been relaxing!

      Delete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...