Prince Snow Farm

1.21.2015

Sometimes

 Sometimes when you come home from work
you need to leave on your down vest…and scarf and boots.


Sometimes you need to take a look out the kitchen window at the woods, mid-way 
through loading the breakfast dishes into the dishwasher...


…and acknowledge the something that stopped you in your tracks...
maybe it's the way the sun is playfully dancing across  the pines….


…reminding you that the days are indeed getting longer...


…or perhaps it's the junco sitting on the railing of the porch, watching you…waiting to see if you choose regiment over spontaneity…


….whatever the reason, you cross your fingers that your camera isn't flashing low battery, and you head outside, knowing that daylight slips too fast in this first month of the year.





You step outside expecting the winter wind to cut across your cheeks,



yet the air is calm, and trees still.


You wander, knowing this place that monopolizes your spring, summer and fall...


this place with remnants of your heart…a stolen blossom, seeds dispersing...




echoes of your heart running like children up and down the hill.


You embrace the feeling, 






drinking in winter's infusion of pure air and windswept grasses.




This time you once viewed as barren, 


is instead an intermission only for nature.


And as you head back up the hill, with a knowing smile and numb fingers,



you understand why you were invited.

27 comments:

  1. The holidays and getting back to life after vacation have kept me out of my blog reading routine...This post is a great welcome back!!! I love it when you write posts like this one! :) Thanks for the walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a LOT out of the blogging routine too! I need to find a small piece of time each day!thanks for popping by and always for your support!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful way to recognize that the days are getting just a tiny bit longer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Stacey! And I find it thrilling!!

      Delete
  3. your words shine! This type of post is your specialty. I esp. love ...shoot, I love it all. the ending perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Janet! You always inspire me through your words….so I take this as a wonderful compliment!

      Delete
  4. Even these cold months have their beautiful moments. You captured them nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. I guess we just need to steal a moment here and there!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! As always. One of my favorite times is early in the morning before sunrise when I go out to get the paper before work. You can feel the calm in the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Larry! And often I leave for work in that early morning peacefulness, so I agree! The air is very calm and feels amazing as you breathe it in.

      Delete
  6. Your post simply touched my heart. It's extraordinary when the words enhance the photos and vice verse. Thank you for such a treat.

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks Jane! To know that my words and photography are able to bring joy to others….well that has my head a bit in the clouds! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful words for beautiful pictures.. I love seeing your posts, they come from the heart.
    thanks for bringing the beauty you see into my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara Lillian! They truly do come from the heart….this is ME, 100%.

      Delete
  8. What beautiful photos and words- so calming to read at the end of a busy day! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sam! Nature calms me as well! Thanks for popping by!

      Delete
  9. So heartwarming - you have such beautiful pictures and words!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YES, an intermission.....
    Love that! And I love that
    you see these gifts spread
    before you, that so many
    people miss.....

    xo Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne! My gifts are about to be covered with snow!

      Delete
  11. Oh Monica! My heart goes out to you and your family at this difficult time. There's no way through it but step by step. But I can feel your dad with you as I read your last few posts. I do think that you are meant to teach about your flowers and garden. Anyone who follows your blog knows that you delight in sharing these things. I also think that your father would want you to write, just as I feel my father is cheering me on as I write. You have a beautiful and authentic writing voice and it should be shared. I look forward to sharing your journey, Ms. Nantucket Daffodil! Even your old blog name speaks to what is in your heart! Sending you hugs and caring vibrations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so very much for your kind words. You truly understand, and that is comforting. Knowing that my passion shines through to others makes me smile. Happy Sunday.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful photos! I love in particular the one of the barn. I have always loved old barn photos. Great shots- glad the camera didn't have a low battery. =0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! The "barn" is just tiny….used to be a one car garage when we moved here, but we just made it storage. We matched the front to the house and kept the rest original….and quite honestly, it draws me to a time and place when life was very different...

      Delete
  13. Lovely photos, as always. And I particularly like the word "intermission".

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...