Prince Snow Farm

5.17.2014

Live Deliberately


I have been introspective recently,
 reflecting on my roles on this Earth:

Mother. Wife.  Teacher.



But, seeing as guiding a seed to become a seedling, 
and then nurturing it to a full grown, thriving plant 
is also such an innate part of who I am, 
I suppose I can add the title "Gardener" to that list.


But it could just as easily be "caretaker". 
At times I truly feel like 
it's a predetermined path that God or Mother Nature,
 or the Universe, (or whoever or whatever you believe in), has set before me.





At times I feel overwhelmed by the responsibility of this role. 
I feel as if I don't want to let down the fields or the 
forest ….I don't want to let down the Earth that will (hopefully) 
sustain our children, and our children's children.



It weighs on my mind…intermingled with all of the usual 
heavy minded topics of my daily life….bills, happiness, freedom…..

please note that buttercups are NOT edible

….but it is truly a cleverly disguised part of everything I do, or say, or desire...

please note that Buttercups are NOT edible

….and I suppose that Thoreau says it better than I ever will:

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practise resignation, unless it was quite necessary. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swath and shave close, to drive life into a corner, and reduce it to its lowest terms.” 
― Henry David ThoreauWalden: Or, Life in the Woods


14 comments:

  1. I really like this post.
    Living deliberately - I really like this as a ideal. I think that this is our plan as well - although we hadn't worded it as such. But reading your wonderful post has put it in to focus for me. Thank you!
    Kirk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you Kirk! It seems we have similar goals! (Have you moved yet?)

      Delete
  2. He said this sentiment that we all feel, in the way only a poet could...but we all know this feeling, and perhaps the way we live is the best way to express this. Live deliberately and those around you will see because our world is constantly sending out artificial messages of happiness. When a genuine heart comes along and lives to sow peace, love and beauty, the world DOES take notice.

    It is so great to see you post again. I hope you are well. Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anita! Glad you popped by! I have been so busy with work and the kids lately. blogging has taken a back seat! So glad that you can see the beauty!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos . . . beautiful thoughts . . . beautiful Thoreau quote

    ReplyDelete
  4. A joyful post ! We can find serenity in a blade of grass , I think .
    Greetings,
    Franca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it true. The littlest speck! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. A good way to put it - living deliberately. We are indeed the stewards of this earth as it was put in our care to watch over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judith!….indeed we are stewards….such an important job! Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  6. Monica, I know I am quite sappy and certainly emotional...this brings tears to my eyes. Your heart....your soul...your words....indeed, gardener you are, and you can add writer. I hope to see your work in a book about gardening and life. xoxo Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jen your words always touch my heart! A soulful connection, indeed! Hope all is well!

      Delete
  7. Yes, it's far too easy to get caught up in the swirl of day-to-day and to lose sight of what purpose we really want for our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pauline! Yes!!!! This helps to ground us, to give us purpose!

      Delete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...