Prince Snow Farm

1.22.2014

Snow Day

A snowday is a peculiar thing when you are an adult.
And a teacher.


The anticipation is the same as when you were a child...


….a jittery feeling…..


….one that is inexplicable unless you have felt it yourself.


My best attempt at describing the feeling, would be Christmas Eve and your birthday bundled up with a big satin bow…..


…..and the cherry on the cake is that you get to play in the fluffy stuff….


…..til your fingers have no sensation and your cheeks are rosy and raw…..


And then you come in and discard the soggy frozen clothing….and HOPEFULLY mom has bought
hot cocoa with marshmallows….and you can sit and thaw….


But as an adult (and a teacher)….the feelings become mixed….


….a day off….always nice….


….time to bake muffins and give extra hugs….


….but at the same time...




…we think about June….and how each day we spend home now….


…will be one less we get to be home in the summer.


One fewer with the kids…the garden…the pup...



…one less with our feet in the warm sand…or splashing in the steel blue waves at the town beach….


….one less day of waking up extra early and heading to the garden….


….one less day of tending…weeding….harvesting….


….one less day of raising the shades at the first morning light….


…of letting the summer breeze breathe life back through the house...


….of late night hide and seek and four square in the street.


But sometimes….


….what you give up is a fair trade….


….for the memories that are made.

Happy snow day.

31 comments:

  1. We didn't have a snow day but we had a 'cold' day. too cold to stroll so I esp. loved traipsing after you through the snow. It is a bitter-sweet trade-off. Our kids go up until the end of June as it is. (I think they make allowances for a few snow days but I'm sure we've filled that quota already!)
    Thank-you for sharing your pics and smile-stirring words. Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear, dear Monica! I hear you all got so much snow; we are getting FREEZING AIR here with high winds and the temps are -17 at the moment. I LOVE WINTER but I am anxious to just get back up to at least the teens!

    Enjoy your evening and maybe another snow day! Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had about 12 inches this time :) I cannot imagine the temps you have been having. This morning was 1 degree here, but the negatives are outrageous this winter! Stay warm!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos!!!! Excellent captures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm envious - the storm missed Maine, blowing out to sea. We need fresh snow. Thanks for sharing yours on this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot believe it missed Maine….but it did take an eastern turn over us. I am sure you will have fresh snow soon!

      Delete
  5. A day off is always nice. We have had quite a few here in the month of January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice….we can compare notes at the end of the school year!

      Delete
  6. Very true, Monica!! While I love snow days as well, it usually means catching up the next day. So just enjoy the moment is what I tell myself. It's been such a cold winter, though. I hope my camellias are okay. I should have protected them with burlap. Stay warm, L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoying the moment is a good piece of advice Loi! I hope your camellias are ok too ;) I lost my grand rosemary last year …I should have covered it….

      Delete
  7. Hope you enjoyed your snow day. I always loved it when the kids would be home and we would do all kinds of outdoorsy things......and then hot chocolate.
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a romantic notion Balisha….something very Norman Rockwell….with LOTS of laundry :)

      Delete
  8. It all works out in the end.. it was fun to see all your snow since it doesn't look like we'll get any this winter.. we had a dusting in November or December. But I'm fine with the sunny days we're having. Enjoy.. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed Teresa! Enjoy the sunshine!

      Delete
  9. I think you captured the sentiment perfectly!
    Love,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  10. My students used to ask why they had to go to school in the rain. I explained that a day off would just be added to the summer.

    We are headed to Utah tomorrow for a ski trip so unlike most people who are wishing that the snow would go away, we are hoping for lots of snow - once we arrive in Salt Lake City.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh have a wonderful trip….enjoy every second!

      Delete
  11. It is 4:30am, I am doing my regular morning routine of visiting blogs, and I'm sitting here FREEZING. I thought I'd check my school district website JUST IN CASE they cancelled since it is another PLUTO-ESQUE cold day....sure enough, NO SCHOOL! I don't know, I just thought I wanted to share that with you!

    I hope you are safe and sound out there my dear! Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again Anita! Thanks for thinking of me as you chilled to the bone.Hope you spent the day doing something you love!

      Delete
  12. Beautiful pictures and thought provoking prose. What a great way to have your readers stop and smell the winter roses…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Ooh….the "winter roses"….a bit of prose from you as well!

      Delete
  13. Per-fect ;) Felt all the way from the Cotswolds.
    Big hugs!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is beautiful, Monica. The photos, the words and I just love how you had to make sense of it all at the end. xoxox Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen….as always you brighten my day!

      Delete
  15. So many of my happy childhood memories are of being in the kitchen with my brother, huddled around the radio, waiting to find out if our school was cancelled. Those were the best days!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...