I just adore making cranberry sangria for an autumn farm dinner, Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas Eve, or New Year's Eve.
It is perfect
served alongside a
roast or ham
or roasted chicken.
(please forgive my photo quality, as I was photographing at night)
Quart Jars washed and air dried.
Our choices of brandy and wine
Straining the sugary cranberries to make the syrup
The leftover cranberries….my husband's favorite part!
I made 2 doubled batches (one doubled batch at a time), and filled 8 1-quart jars as full as you see above….leaving room allows for the garnish….
I have garnished with oranges before, but honestly, I think just cranberries looks better...
I attach a recipe on card stock….mostly for effect….and tie it up with a bit of twine or burlap ribbon…
*Heat your ingredients in a large pan, and use that same pan to mix the batch.
*Pour from the pan to a large glass measuring cup. This makes for drip free pouring into the canning jars….
*Allow to cool before covering….
originally found in Coastal Living
A fruit-forward red wine, such as a Beaujolais or Zinfandel, works well for wine cocktails like this one.
Coastal Living NOVEMBER 2011
- Yield: Makes 6 cups
- Cook time:10 Minutes
- Prep time:10 Minutes
- Chill:2 Hours
- Total:2 Hours, 20 Minutes
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 (750-milliliter) bottle fruity red wine
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- Garnishes: fresh cranberries; orange, lemon, and lime slices
1. Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 5 minutes or until cranberries pop. Pour mixture through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl, using the back of a spoon to squeeze out juice. Discard solids.
2. Transfer cranberry mixture to a large pitcher. Stir in wine, brandy, and orange juice. Chill 2 hours. Serve over ice; garnish with cranberries and fruit slices, if desired.
To serve as a warm mulled cocktail, transfer mixture to a Dutch oven and heat just until it begins to boil. Garnish, if desired.