Prince Snow Farm

12.20.2013

2013 in review Part I


I knew 2013 would be a different year.
After Christmas break (2012), I went back to school for a day, then I was out til after February vacation. My surgery (hysterectomy and a few other procedures) went well, but my body needed healing time.



I knew it would feel different being home this time. I had only been home from teaching for an extended period after the birth of each of our children.

And here I was home in a quiet house, and I wasn't allowed to lift anything heavier than a milk bottle for a few weeks. Then I wasn't supposed to lift or exert. That was the hardest part about having the time to clean and organize and redo….but having instead to find other things to replace the urge!



So I crafted little vignettes…and became instantly hooked on Instagram. Me, the mom who rejected the idea of an iPhone was now slightly (ok, wholeheartedly) obsessed.


And I baked a lot of gluten free treats.
My dream has ALWAYS been to be a stay at home mom. And now here I was home, and my kids were at school. But I had to live the dream to some extent…so I had treats waiting for them when they came home. And just the tidy kitchen, and mom waiting for them, really made for a nice afternoon.


I was able to fix C's hair every morning….help her make last minute wardrobe changes…my longtime blog readers know this has always been a sticky subject for me. I wish there was a way to do both….but I have been at this school for 22 years….and it doesn't make sense to try to switch now.


And smack dab in the middle of my vignettes and baking….it snowed….and snowed….and it just didn't stop!


We had storm after storm.


We had a blizzard that left us unable to get out…left us without power…left us bitter cold like I have never felt and hope to never feel again….


Thanks goodness for charged e-readers!




The lighthouse became a my own personal beacon of hope in a dreary winter…a place to drive and drink in the salt air, the open expanse of ocean, and the endless blue sky….



….and then I'd come home and bake some more….


….or I'd design a little treasure or two like my recycled book butterfly.



And all the time I had a sweet little pug by my side…following my every move…snuggling into my fleecy robe or guarding my feet at the stove….




And then suddenly it was springtime!  


A springtime filled with the beach of my childhood….





…with healthier recipes….ok… maybe if I'd only left out the bacon….or the cheese….


…days of great new reads…..


….of watching proudly as  our son delivered a speech to the mothers at the NJHS induction ceremony.


How peculiar it feels to see life pass in a blink…we  try to live each moment to the fullest…but at times the years seem to mesh together, and suddenly the little boy standing at the train table is now a  young man standing in front of an audience….


I attended a Kinfolk Magazine farm dinner….one of the most joyous things I've ever done...


…and as the spring progressed….we felt joy as the skies brightened earlier and stayed light after dinner….


we delighted as the shadows changed...


…and as the trees prepared for summer...


I mapped the garden and planted a bazillion seeds…hoping for a successful gardening season….


…and then Stormy started to get sick…her little pink tongue and the pimples on her face and chin were the first sign.She was diagnosed with allergies…then several weeks later with an inner ear infection…School ended (the latest we had ever gotten out…almost July!)  After many sleepless nights and our entire summer savings, Stormy was diagnosed with inflammatory brain disease. 

She is doing ok. She has been on prednisone for a long time. She also is in the midst of being treated for an eye ulcer. She doesn't play much any more…kind of sad considering she is just 2….but we love her just the same. She's our baby after all.




The beginning of July brought forth sunny warm days…bike rides...


…and endless bouquets of flowers….


Being in the garden breathes a life into me like nothing else….it inspires, it rewards, it is like a big smile, a warm hug, and a sweet memory all wrapped up together and delivered on a vintage silver platter.


And we snuck back out to the sunporch…enjoying the southern angle of the sun and the afternoon breezes….





We are VERY lucky to have summers off with our kids (and Stormy). We are there to hear the laughter of neighborhood play….to welcome in the neighborhood kids…..to share our love of the garden and outdoors….




I really worked on my writing and garden photography this summer.


My dream of dreams is to photograph gardens and write about them….

any takers?

Stay tuned for Part II

{All photos taken with my Iphone4 (the blurrier ones) or a canon g9 pint and shoot (the clearer ones)}













12 comments:

  1. Love, love the pink bike. My cat has an eye ulcer after having severe skin allergies. He is treated with steroids, but it never completely heals. I have tried many different foods and finally a new one seems to really help his skin allergies but the eye ulcer is still there. How does your vet treat Stormy's? I know there is a big difference between cats and dogs. But I look everywhere for help, new treatments, and answers. Sometimes his allergies are so bad his eyes are almost swollen shut.:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw ! Sorry to hear about your kitty! We have been giving Stormy Steroid drops 3 x a day for several weeks. It took a good almost two weeks before the goofiness cleared. It is still a bit cloudy and there is an opening over the pupil. I am hoping it will clear. We have a checkup for the brain disease Monday, so I am hoping they can tell us what else to do! Hope you have good results with your kittiy's eye!

      Delete
  2. I loved reading this. I didn't meet you until you were about to go back to work after your surgery.

    You didn't mention publishing the article in the magazine so I hope that is coming in part 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like I have known you for years Carol. I am so glad you have stuck with me! I planned on 2 parts, but thinking about summer….it may be 3 parts! It just took me so long to pick the photos! Have a wonderful Christmas at home with your family!

      Delete
  3. What a great way for your readers to get to know you better. I think I've been visiting you a quite a while, but not sure how long. But after your surgery. I'm glad you and hubby have met the challenges of your health issues and come out on top.

    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉
    *M*E*R*R*Y* *C*H*R*I*S*T*M*A*S*!*
    ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa for coming by this holiday season! You are so supportive. My husband is on his way to better health, thanks. It has been a long road. Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  4. Oh Monica...I am speechless..truly...your writing...the passion you gleen into your life is just so admirable. Looking forward to Part II. You are such an inspiration to me, you have no idea. xoxoxo Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, your kind words bring a smile to my face! It has been my privilege to meet you this year. You are so talented, and have an amazing heart and spirit. Looking forward to following you in the new year both here and on Instagram. Merry Christmas my friend!

      Delete
  5. Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
    And never brought to mind?
    Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
    And auld lang syne.

    You have such great pictures and isn't interesting how our blogs are just a modern day diary that we share with the world? I'm so glad your family is returning to health.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so grateful for these posts of yours, so I can catch up with you and know you better.
    Will be back again with calm one of these days, I want to savor my time with you!
    Much love,
    Monica xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prince Snow Farm is such a lovely place! What a beautiful and loving home you've made for your children :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post Monica, so lovely to have met you on Instagram this year and now here on your blog where you speak of vignettes, of flowers, of seasons, of family and of dogs. Wonderful! Smiling back at you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...