10.08.2013

Straight from the Garden

 Just a very quick post...my eyes are already sleepy at 8:18 this Monday night.



It has been a busy day.
I've been wanting to make my annual Tomato Tarts...
and this afternoon I finally had a chance.
Then all of a sudden it was 8:00p.m.
How does that happen?



I use a recipe that I originally
found in Victoria Magazine many years ago.
It was from Olga, a chef and proprietor of a cute little place out in 
Little Compton, Rhode Island.
She actually lived in a tent behind the shop on a farm (if I remember correctly). I always thought she (and her business) were the coolest. That shop isn't there anymore, but she does now
 have a restaurant in Providence, Olga's Cup and Saucer.



I have a ratty old torn out page for a recipe, but I also found it here.


The original recipe IS NOT gluten-free....but
we only bake and cook gluten-free now due to our 
daughter's Celiac Disease.
Crust has always been tricky.
Today I used a pie crust recipe from the Cup4Cup flour site, but mixed it with Pamela's Pancake flour because I didn't have enough Cup4Cup left. 
I just added flour til the dough formed.
Then I chilled it and rolled it between parchment.
I chilled again for a few minutes.

I fold the extra dough in, which makes it so you don't have to trim the edges.
I also advise caramelizing the onions one day, and making 
the next, unless you have a lot of time on your hands.






Mustard smeared on the crust, caramelized onions, cheddar, and fresh tomatoes with a drizzle of olive oil....what's not to love.

And just because I can't seem to post without including a garden beauty....here's my fading Dahlia captured in yesterday's rain.




Night night.


6 comments:

  1. And good morning to you! I have never, ever had a tomato tart, but do pizzas count? :) I must try this on a cold and rainy night, which I hope we get soon! It's back to summer for us today here! Have a relaxing day my dear. Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought about making this as a pizza!

      Delete
  2. OMG! This looks absolutely amazing! xo Jen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...