10.15.2013

Cranberry Harvest




My husband and son timed it 
right when they
 visited our neighbor 
a couple of houses down 
on this glorious Columbus Day.




He was harvesting cranberries from one of his bogs....


...and welcomed them to watch the wet harvest machines....




...and then allowed them to use a vintage scoop to
dry pick other cranberries. (Some varieties get wet-picked, others dry picked).


Can you imagine that it used to be done exclusively this way?  Now only 
some varieties are picked this way. It must have
 been back-breaking work.



The scoop is so cleverly built.


And now we have some cranberries.
How perfect. 
Thanks neighbor.
_____________

And as promised....a Cranberry Sangria Recipe:
(We filled large glass canning jars with it a few days before Christmas 
last year and delivered to our neighbors around dinner time).

  Ingredients:


  • 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 1 cup sugar 
  • 1 cup water
  • (750-milliliter) bottle fruity red wine 
  • 1/2 cup brandy
  • 1 cup fresh orange juice 
  • Garnishes: fresh cranberries; orange, lemon, and lime slices

Preparation

  1. 1. Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, and simmer 5 minutes or until cranberries pop. Pour mixture through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl, using the back of a spoon to squeeze out juice. Discard solids.
  2. 2. Transfer cranberry mixture to a large pitcher. Stir in wine, brandy, and orange juice. Chill 2 hours. Serve over ice; garnish with cranberries and fruit slices, if desired.
  3. To serve as a warm mulled cocktail, transfer mixture to a Dutch oven and heat just until it begins to boil. Garnish, if desired.





24 comments:

  1. What fun to see you get your own cranberries up close and personal.. not many of us can say that.
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa...I also think it is very cool!

      Delete
  2. Hi, Monica - What a treat!! To be able to walk down the road and experience this harvest - how fun and unique! And thank you for sharing the sangria recipe - another treat :)
    Cheers,
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Loi! I agree....it's tucked away...a sweet surprise! The sangria is amazing!

      Delete
  3. PS - I thought of "Big Max" over the weekend when I came across my neighbor's gigantic pumpkin. Yes, I remember the early days of Nantucket Daffodil :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw you are so sweet Loi! No Big Max this year :( So sad. I tried to grow from last year's seeds but no luck ! Not sure if the seeds were bad, or spring was too wet. I will buy some for next summer! Glad you have stuck around!

      Delete
  4. Cranberry picking time is such a great time of year. I've been able to help a friend with his bogs in the past. One year my son and I worked side by side and it was good life lesson for him. The best part was my friend used his best Tom Sawyer "painting a fence is fun" sort of way when my son asked if he could help. He really did enjoy it though and there's nothing like a bag of fresh berries for home made cranberry sauce.

    The pictures are great. Not many outside of our end of the woods ever get to see how they are picked. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are lucky to have this pretty site her in our area of the world. Tom was clever......and the work got done! I cannot wait to make a few treats and share with family and friends.

      Delete
  5. Dear Monica,
    I love cranberries and so, to live near to where they are grown would be a real treat.
    I like the fact that you make such wonderful Christmas gifts for friends and neighbours - what a nice thing to do.
    And thanks for the Sangria recipe - I think I will be trying that myself!
    Bye for now
    Kirk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kirk. They are truly beautiful growing in the bogs. I (we) have tried to do more homemade gifts from the heart. It's nice to hear the stories too....one neighbor said she and her husband drank it as they finished wrapping gifs, and another found it at his door and and made himself a roast and potatoes to have with it....those stories make me happy! Do try it!

      Delete
    2. What lovely feedback rom your neighbours. That sorts of thing makes the heart glad.

      Delete
  6. What an interesting post and thanks so much for your visit or I would have missed this. I never see cranberries here though we may be able to get tinned :-( Have a wonderful day Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so interesting to find out what is regional in different areas or climates of the world. Thanks for the visit.

      Delete
  7. GOOD MORNING my dear! What a glorious picture and to think this is your NEIGHBOR'S PLACE! I love where I live, but my neighbor's place is NOT so enchanting! yikes....

    Lovely photos to come to on this fabulous and chilly morning. Enjoy! Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello Anita! I know, how glorious, unexpected, and a gift!

      Delete
  8. Oh how fun! That is something I have never done. Looks like they had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Making memories...how fun was that?! And then a recipe for cranberry sangria - now that's the bonus. Love your blog and happy to be your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of fun indeed! You must try the sangria! Thanks so much for following!

      Delete
  10. How incredibly neat, Monica! One of my all time favorite children's book is A Cranberry Thanksgiving. Every time I think of you now, I have my fave book in mind as well! xo Jen PS The sangria recipe sounds tabby! I must try! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! I will have to read that book to my daughter! Glad it will make you think of me.....how sweet! And YES to the sangria...so yummy!

      Delete
  11. This looks like so much fun. Just like the juice commercial.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love visiting the bogs in Carlisle! I heard it was a bumper crop this year too! Love your recipe, I can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That must have been back breaking work indeed!
    And I cannot get over how amazing that first photo is, the red is incredible!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...