9.21.2013

Chasing the Sun

I chased the sun last night.


I grabbed my camera around 6:00 p.m..


Friday nights lend themselves to
spontaneity.


I couldn't recruit any companions.
My kids were laying like 
blobs on the couch...with fall allergies/colds, tired from a week of 
school. School is so much more stressful than when I was growing up.



I let them rest and headed out alone on this 80 degree day.





I started at the lighthouse...a quick 2 minute drive....





The sun was bright and inviting, the shadows long.....



Boats bobbed on their moorings...no impending
 hurricanes this year allows for 
a bit later season of autumn sailing and boating.....


Next I headed to the town beach 2 minutes down the road....



The sun was glowing and cast a natural flash
onto the harbor...


It was a peaceful scene.....gulls overhead....


I walked over to the pier and delighted in this scene tucked down below the rocky wall...


....15 years living here....swimming lessons every summer....and I never knew 
these gems were tucked in
safely down below.....


The steel blue waves lent themselves to
a Friday night of dreaming....





The town beach was empty and basked in a glow....


....leaving me craving those lazy summer days 
with our quilt spread out on the warm sand...smiles and splashes...



I headed back to the lighthouse but stopped to catch a few views along the way...


...a safe inlet of mossy green grasses....



It reminds me of a childhood playing in the marsh and picking sea lavender...


It was so quiet here.
An osprey flew overhead, its shadow 
startling me at first....




...a local's buoy and clam or mussel trap lay safely 
tucked in.....







....the tidepool hiding the life that abounds here....



I returned to the lighthouse as the sun dipped down
in a glorious ball of fire.



It engulfed the sky in a warm glow...


....my final glimpse. Chasing the sun.


26 comments:

  1. I've been following your posts for awhile, not making any comments, but these photos are wonderful,showing the beauty of a peaceful desserted beach. I loved the one of the wharf with all the ladders,what a beautiful place you live in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you have spoken Barbara! I appreciate your support and I am glad you are enjoying my posts!

      Delete
  2. It's one of my favorite things to do. To chase the things that have been here longer than us, to find the mysteries held in them. Gorgeous photos my friend; one would think they were in Ireland or England...so lovely. Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so excited that you said England or Ireland Anita! Two places I would love to visit someday.

      Delete
  3. How nice that you headed out to capture these serene and lovely views. Good job, I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos . . . beautiful words.

    I am so envious of my daughter. She flies to Nantucket on Monday for a week long wedding of a friend. We made her promise to take lots of photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words! Fall on Nantucket is GORGEOUS!!!!!

      Delete
  5. Those are beautiful pictures. The lighthouse and sunset are top of the world. Having grown up in in the town to the west, I remember many Sunday afternoon drives to the same wharfs with my parents. And when I was in high school, occasional visits to the lighthouse after dark with my girlfriend to watch the submarine races.

    So many good memories. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi IHB! So glad you stopped by! I grew up a few towns to the west....(the one where UMD is). We are blessed to live in such a pretty area. My husband teaches here,I teach where I grew up. I also frequented the good old submarine races, but I believe they were near a town beach :) I looked over your blog, and enjoyed your progress. It looks like quite a task you have undertaken! I did not see the town you are in....but I think it is probably not too far away. Glad I could drag a few old memories to the surface. Be sure to pop back in from time to time!

      Delete
  6. How incredibly beautiful! I'll just pretend I've been on a little mini vacation. It is not that scenic here and I do love to see the water. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a plan Stacey....we could stop for a drink at the inn overlooking the harbor too!

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the beautiful sunset tour. You live in a lovely place and share it so generously through your photos! Glad you got out of the house even if it was on your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Kathy! I love to share the views and vistas of my life. It was refreshing and renewing.

      Delete
  8. Lovely in every way! I especially like the marsh photos... Enjoy this gorgeous weather, and think back to it in the depths of winter!
    Hope your week goes well!
    Libby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Libby! The marsh is one of my favorites too. I love the earthy tones. Last winter I ventured out in the snow to photograph the lighthouse. It was deserted and AMAZING!!!! You have a great week too!

      Delete
  9. I love the beach this time of year. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sonia, thanks for the visit! I agree, the beach is amazing at this time of year!

      Delete
  10. I just finished the incredibly moving novel "The Light Between Oceans". Your photos are very timely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Pauline I read that novel after my surgery in January! What an emotional, intricate story.

      Delete
  11. These photos completely capture the "feeling" of the end of the season.
    Quiet and golden.
    Lovely.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rose....I have trouble changing seasons....this helps!

      Delete
  12. Breathtaking! Thanks for letting us join you.
    Love,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Glad you have been visiting!

      Delete
  13. What a beautiful evening! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...