Prince Snow Farm

8.07.2013

Yum.

I was really in the mood for a treat this week. But I wanted it to be summery and refreshing. I had never made lemon curd before, and wanted to give it a try. I had Boyajian Lemon Oil on hand, and a quick trip to their web site gave me a perfect recipe. (By the way, we give huge bottles of their garlic olive oil out instead of wine at Christmas....it is so good, and makes the kitchen smell heavenly....but back to my story....)


I used this recipe for the curd:

Lemon Curd
2 large eggs
6 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 teaspoon Boyajian Lemon Oil
In top of double boiler, whisk eggs and sugar to blend. Add lemon juice, butter and Boyajian Lemon Oil. Set pan over simmering water (pan should not touch water). Whisk until mixture thickens to a pudding consistency, about 4 minutes. Remove from over water and cool. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface of curd; refrigerate until well chilled..
Serve with scones, fresh berries, or as a filling for layer cakes.

(FYI: It took me a full 10 minutes of whisking away to get the pudding-like consistency)

I was thrilled with the results, and loved the flavoring from the fresh lemons and lemon oil.


Also,  I used Martha Stewarts yellow cupcake recipe found here.

I substituted CUP4CUP Gluten-Free flour mixture in the recipe.






Make sure your cupcakes, or biscuits or scones are thoroughly cooled before using the well-chilled lemon-curd.



I like it smothered and drippy with a strawberry garnish.




And just because I love this old rusty watering can, thought I'd include a photo of my limelight hydrangeas.


Happy day....and happy baking.



22 comments:

  1. I just gained a few pounds enjoying the cupcakes with lemon curd. They are as pretty as I am sure they taste.

    That old rusty can - beautiful. I have a rusty can in the garage I am going to put flowers in on the table after seeing yours.

    That quilt, ooh!

    Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an old Holly Hobbie can too...just your colors. I searched for it for YEARS, as it was just like the one I had as a little girl to water my first garden,

      Delete
  2. You don't know how bad I want one of those right now. I wonder if there is a recipe for lemon curd in the microwave? Love your old watering can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet there is! Although it has to thicken, like gravy, so I am not so sure!

      Delete
  3. Oh, you are bringing back so many good memories to me today; my parents had lemon and lime trees in our backyard in Los Angeles, and my mother made the best lemon meringue pie. My favorite part was the curd alone. You could have the crust and the meringue, but the curd was the best. I also love orange and lime curds too! Have a great day baking my friend! Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make orange squares Anita, and I bet the orange curd would be great with them!

      Delete
  4. Oh my, this looks and sounds so good. I love anything lemon!

    Love your watering can! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lemon curd makes me nostalgic for England. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, my mouth is watering for one of your cupcakes! Your lemon curd looks beautiful - I love the soft color of the yellow, so much better than store bought!

    Don't hydrangeas make you happy! I love mine!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they must add food coloring in the store!

      Yes, hydrangeas make me very happy!

      Delete
  7. Mmm...yum, yum, YUM! This sounds so good and very refreshing! Thanks for sharing with us :)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just started a new monthly Patisserie Tuesdays to be held on the first Tuesday of each month. I would love to have you pop over and enter this yummy recipe - entry goes on for the whole week! Hope to see you... here is the link just in case - http://elisabetpollock.blogspot.com/2013/08/patisserie-tuesday-no-1.html
    Hugs,
    Beth P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks bunches for participating in Patisserie Tuesdays! I've never hosted something like this before it just sort of came out of me one day while I was working on some posts so I figured I wouldn't argue with serendipity!:D I do hope it becomes popular... I love baking and making candy and such, and since the holidays are on their way I figured August would give us all a nice head start to thinking about sweet treats:D
    Thanks again my dear blogging friend for helping out...!
    Hugs,
    Beth P

    ReplyDelete
  10. That green glass lemon juicer is to die for! My own is a clear cut glass, very functional and quite pretty...but not as charming as that green one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband likes lemon desserts, so I may have to try this.
    Love,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...