8.12.2013

Pastry


There are some words that evoke a memory. Like piazza. And footage. But pastry is my favorite. It makes me think about cruising to Lillian London's Bakery with Edna, (in her washed out lime LTD with A/C), for pastry. Her favorite. I think about her ordering her lemon squares and cupcakes and cookies....and punkin muffin, and having an absolute plan for when and how each and every piece would be enjoyed by her or Clarence. Usually it was for bed lunch.



So when I decided to make chocolate chip cookies this weekend, Edna was on my mind.


Thoughts of Star Store and Cherry and Webb. Thoughts of perfect hospital corners and dust-mopped bedrooms.


Thoughts of Howdy Burgers and Lums.


Thoughts of shopping for shoes and poodles on the bathroom walls.


Thoughts of playing with two boxes of costume jewelry for hours, arranging, admiring...


Thoughts of a drawer full of toys stashed under the spare room bed: jack-in-the-box, slinky dog on a leash...


Thoughts of playing in the good parlor, and getting measured on the cabinet door....


Thoughts of Edna. And her love of pastry.

Thanks for the inspiration Grandma.

Miss you.

**********************

Recipe is found on the back of the Pamela's Products Gluten Free pancake mix.
It is amazing.

Find it online here.

We use Pamela's for pancakes, muffins and cookies. Since C went gluten-free we only bake gluten free in our house. We have found Pamela's to be very flavorful, I think
 due to the fact that it contains almond flour. Enjoy!

Visit Mossberry Cottage for Patisserie the first Tuesday of the month, and link in your favorites!

and link your favorite inspirations at Common Ground!

17 comments:

  1. Dear friend,

    When I lived in Massachusetts, I had a great friend who enjoyed the same MAGIC that pastry would perform in our hands. We would literally study the chemistry of pizza dough, as we compared notes on how favorite way to make it. The results of course are multisensory, and JOY!

    Enjoy your baking time and all its facets....memory, taste, smell...Anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... this was precious and made my eyes water. Sweet and precious memories! Have a lovely day.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just lovely and so touching, Monica! Thanks for sharing this!! For me, Chinese custard tart reminds me of my grandmother. She would enjoy them with tea every Sunday.
    x Loi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning sweet daffodil! Thank you for visiting and yes, all is well. NEGATIVE results, but a positive outlook that life is made up of dark and light. PEACE! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to have read your blog today! Such a sweet and sentimental post! I loved it! I will have to try out the gluten free pancake mix…I'm beginning to wonder if I need to be trying more gluten free products. We shall see! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just stumbled across your blog and it is beautiful. Your gluten free chocolate chip cookies look so fluffy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I am glad you popped in. The cookies do come out pretty fluffy! Come back soon!

      Delete
  7. Is it wrong that I couldn't take my eyes off of those cookies? Looks like I know what I'll be baking today. :-)
    Love,
    Christy
    PS. It's a wonderful thing how food can evoke such special memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't great that food can bring up some many memories? Your chocolate chip cookies look amazing!
    Thanks for sharing at the Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop. Have a wonderful day!

    Katie @ TheCasualCraftlete.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...