Prince Snow Farm

7.04.2013

Prince Snow Farm

Well, It's been a week. I've been home a week.
I have been cleaning out...digging out, sorting, sighing...fighting exhaustion 
(which I researched, and it is normal to still feel wiped out 6 months after  a hysterectomy)...and then reveling when the sun finally popped back out again after a week of rain, rain, and more rain.


C has been begging to set up the farm stand. But the rain has kept our garden at an awkward stage. No veggies in sight yet, except lettuce and herbs. But we did it yesterday, as soon as the first rays of sun slid out from the haze. And we sold out immediately on this sleepy little dead end road. In fact, we even became a little puzzled when an older couple drove by, turned around to visit us, then drove back the way they came.

We don't advertise....we are just a tiny operation....so it was odd...but welcomed, and C kept her smile on, and her sweet way of chatting. She's a natural. 


So then we restocked. And we had a perfect day. I mean what's not fun about cutting flowers and 
arranging them into sweet little haphazard rustic arrangements tied up with a bit of patriotic ribbon? And how rewarding is it to have a 9 year old who is showing every sign of loving gardening as much as I do? Score!


I snipped the blossoms over my large galvanized flower bucket. The leaves and stems...even a floppy, unusable blossom or two swam happily in the water....begging to smile for the camera.


I tried to sell parsley, but it drooped in the sunshine. I don't like to sell droopy flowers...or herbs. As soon as I brought it back in, it perked right up. (a sign that we should set up the crisp white tent for the farm stand)

I have decided to make the parsley pesto featured on the cover of the June issue of Bon Appetit. I'll let you know the results!


And I couldn't resist taking a few photos of the bees on the Veronica (speedwell).Blue Bomb, shown above, is one of my favorite varieties.


The hydrangea below was planted when we first moved in 15 years ago. Does anyone know the variety? 


One or two varieties of lavender are blossoming. Our grand dames are very close....a day or two perhaps...I will be selling lavender in my Etsy shop again, and perhaps a little Instagram sale.....



And I'll close with my favorite image of the week, and a quote that I think is quite fitting on this Independence Day:

Freedom has its life in the hearts, the actions, the spirit of men and so it must be daily earned and refreshed - else like a flower cut from its life-giving roots, it will wither and die.  

~Dwight D. Eisenhower


Happy Fourth of July my friends!

13 comments:

  1. Happy 4th! It's wonderful that C is interested in flowers & gardening, just think if the fon you'll have over the years selecting flowers for all her special events and planning her gardens some day!

    Also, I think it took me 18 mos. to feel 100% after my hyst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your flower stand is adorable! No wonder it attracts so much attention. And that quote is perfect, so true.

    Happy 4th!
    E.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the sweetest farm stand I've ever seen. It's all so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not surprised you sold out: just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To second other comments, I am not surprised you sold out either! You had some beautiful goodies and a fabulous sales assistant! Those bunches of lavender would have been mine if I lived in your street!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy I found your blog and I too love the lavender. I definitely would have stopped at that cute farm stand! Nice photos, happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought a hydrangeo "Rio" last year that looks very similar to yours....except that this, its second year, time the flowers are almost totally blue and have lost the edge color somewhat. But look it up and see!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I can see why your stand
    would be irresistible, for sure!
    You have a gorgeous variety and
    are further along than we are, here
    in MN....by just a little : )

    I hope you get your energy back.
    Nothing worse when you want to
    be in the swing of things and you
    are just too tired. Hormones!

    Love & hugs,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, your daughter and her wares are so cute! What a good mom you are! When I was 5 we set up a kool-aid stand at the end of our road and a newspaper photographer stopped and took our photo and we were in the paper. And there we were with our hair in pin curls! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to drive down your road and buy a few things from C.

    Thanks for the lovely flowers and that really sweet bee.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would definitely stop and shop at your farm stand! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the flower stand idea. You have a lot of variety!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those little lavender bouquets are too special. Just amazing with that great ribbon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...