Prince Snow Farm

7.06.2013

Garlic Scape Pesto


Yep,
 it's that time of year again!
The garlic shoots out the scape...we trim it off to send more energy to the bulb.


Then...we make pesto.
Not just any old pesto.
There will be time for traditional pesto.
But right here, right now...
it's all about the garlic!


Snip off all of the scapes and gather in a basket.
Bring them inside and snip off the buds...
this is the swollen area at the top...
soon to be a flower...
and we know how much energy goes into producing a gorgeous flower...



Thoroughly rinse in a gigantic collander
(or a little tiny collander if you only have a couple of garlic plants).
I also discard anything that looks odd, brown,,,,etc....


Shake off the excess water. 
I spread the scapes out on a kitchen towel and air dry a bit.


The buds are lovely, so don't forget to....



...save a few in a vase or in my case, in  a vintage glass with
some sort of naked winged nymph on it.
In most cases, within a few days
they will flower.



Chop the scapes.
This took the longest of any step.
I lay several together and chop.

Last year I used this recipe from Kevin Lee Jacobs.
Now I tweak it to my liking.

I put 2 handfuls of scapes in the food processor
with 1/2 cup slivered almonds.
Process 30 seconds.
Scrape sides.


Run machine and slowly drizzle in 3/4 cup
olive oil (I prefer organic EVO).
Add 1/4 cup grated or shredded FRESH parmesan cheese.
Process again til smooth.
Add salt and pepper, ( I prefer a little white pepper), to taste.





We enjoy it on a Glutino
gluten-free garlic bagel chip.
One batch made this plus 2
small containers for later this week.
I will freeze about 7-10 more....
but then again, we planted 200 cloves.
No Vampires here.
Enjoy!

All photos are mine, please do not reuse without permission. Thanks.


10 comments:

  1. I have never tasted any kind of pesto. This sounds good. Enjoy!
    Balisha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can practically taste it now and even hear the crunch from the nice looking Glutino..Yum!

    Hope you are having a lovely weekend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tasted scapes, so I guess I thought they would be strong and used sparingly in a pasta dish. It must be mild and sweet to be eaten on toasts. I must plant garlic this year if it isn't too late.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never heard of garlic scape before and now suddenly you're the second place I've read of them. Sounds like a fabulous pesto. Also, I hope to see a photo of a garlic flowers since I've never seen one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds interesting and delicious... wish my hubs liked garlic! But there is always traditional basil pesto later this summer! :D
    Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to use garlic scapes. Delicious. I have to remember this one. Thank you.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  7. We grow the giant garlic...can you do the same with them. This looks so good.
    Its such fun learning new things, is it not!!!
    XXOO Marie Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're making me hungry and it is nearly midnight.

    Last week I made my first caprese salad - I don't cook. I think I might want to try your pesto.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought I would crave garlic pesto at this time of the morning but that's exactly what I feel like! I have bookmarked this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...