Prince Snow Farm

7.20.2013

A Refreshing Summer Dessert

Key Lime Pie
(made Gluten-Free)

Need a refreshing summer dessert?
I tried this last week and loved it!
We convert whatever we can to gluten-free due to
our daughter's Celiac Disease.
In this case, the only thing I changed was the graham cracker used for the crust.

I found these little Key Limes
at Whole Foods.
I'd NEVER tried Key Lime Pie, so I thought it was time
I give it a whirl.


I searched around
for the perfect recipe.
At the same time, I was treated to a bit of history:

Key Lime Pie originated in Key West, Florida by the local residents referred to as "Conchs". The original version was made before the days of refrigeration. There were no cattle in the area so the only milk available was canned milk originally brought in by ship, later by train. This is why the recipe uses canned milk and not fresh. Also, the traditional key lime pie would not be cooked. The acid from the lime juice would set and thicken the egg yolks.
 I would most definitely cook the eggs.


After looking over MANY recipes, I settled on
this one from Joe's Stone Crab in
Miami Beach, Florida.


I used gluten-free graham style crackers
from Kinnikinnik.


I also used a square Pyrex so that I could cut them into squares.



I squeezed the heck out of these
awkwardly tiny limes.
I didn't get anywhere near the amount of lime juice mentioned in the recipe, 
but I added what I had and
didn't adjust the liquid.

(You can buy key lime juice as well: Nellie and Joe's 
Famous Key West Lime Juice has been recommended to me)

I read that REAL Key Lime Pie should not be green, 
and should be like a custard, rather than a pudding.
Success!


A dollop of homemade whipped cream 
made this first time dessert a success!

(NOTE: time consuming! Allow yourself plenty of time to make this dessert)
Happy Saturday!
We are off to a wedding.


Stormy Update:

She has been perkier and has even brought us her toys now and again.
Fingers crossed!

21 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe! You know I could have 3 or 4 slices :) So glad Stormy is feeling better. Panda and Mocha send hugs :)
    Enjoy the wedding ~ Loi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Loi! I have a feling you are very cautious and regimented in your eating! Stormy is mending. Thanks so much. Kisses to Panda and Mocha!

      Delete
  2. This looks SO good and I'll have to try the gluten free crust! This would be a wonderful warm summers evening dessert choice:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was. The only problem I encounter with GF crust is having to take it out of the fridge for a few minutes to soften before cutting. Maybe cutting ahead into individual squares would be the way to go.

      Delete
  3. First I'm so glad that Stormy is better.. I was worried for you all. And Key Lime Pie is an absolute favorite of mine. Now I want some. We're enjoying our girls.. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa! I have never been so worried, except when my own babies went through health scares. G;ad you are having fun with the girls!

      Delete
  4. Happy Saturday my dear! Good to learn about this traditional recipe that has become synonymous with summer. I love lime flavoring and perhaps if I have time, I could give this dessert a try! It's always so nice to come visit you! I hope you little furry one is doing better today. Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Anita, its all about the time! Thanks for your sweet thoughts!

      Delete
  5. I love your bowls that are holding the graham crackers and sugar. Very cute!

    E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks E! I bought those years ago at Home Goods on the clearance aisle. They are Cuisinart, and reminded me of something Martha Stewart might have!

      Delete
  6. I LOVE Key Lime pie!!! Looks like you've got a winning recipe too! Did you roll your limes? It makes them really juicy if you lean on them and give them a roll on the counter before you squeeze them. You can actually feel the liquid moving around with your hand when you do this.

    I'm happy to hear Stormy is doing better! Hopefully she'll be back to her old self soon!

    Enjoy the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did roll my limes! I have a habit of always rolling oranges, lemons and limes.It has always intrigued me as a science teacher! Thanks for your sweet Stormy comments!

      Delete
  7. Have to pass this on to my friends!!! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember making key lime pie a few years ago and you have just reminded me what a lovely refreshing dessert this is. Must try your recipe.
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is...the sweet/tart/cold....yum!

      Delete
  9. Ohh this is just what I want right now... can't believe we're halfway through summer and I haven't had a key lime pie yet! Looks amazing for it only being your first time baking it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...