We have had several inquiries about
our rustic fence, so I thought
I would share a
the fence-making process.
we gathered vines
from the woods.
We call them "Tarzan Vines".
They were quite thick, and
most had to be cut with a hand-saw.
After we had a good selection, we laid them
out across the lawn. K had already
placed the posts in the ground.
The posts were trees from
the woods. A post hole digger,
(and some serious muscle),
was used to
put the posts down about
three feet (or whenever we hit a rock).
We laid out string as a guide
for the height and width of the fence,
and tried to stay within
the string, or a little above or below.
We worked as a team,
one of us holding the vine, the other checking
to see if it fit aesthetically. If it didn't, we tried another until we were
happy with the look.
Then we used 3 inch deck screws to fasten
the twisted vines to the posts.
K also built an arbor with small tree branches from the woods.
We decided to use the vines on the front of the garden,
and wrap mesh deer fencing around the rest.
(The mesh fencing doesn't
even show from the street.)
This was an early spring photo.
We were still working on the garden.
We had also planted
a row of perennials
along the inside of the fence.
We used leftover vines as tomato
cages for the volunteer cherry tomatoes from the previous year.
They produced amazing amounts of tomatoes.
Here is a view from the hill.
We had a terrible drought last summer.
This was late summer...we had finally had some rain and
the grass was starting to green up again.
(This is also the view the street.)
We were very pleased with the results,
and look forward to sharing photos
from this year's garden!
(The photo below was taken
last weekend from our
Have you built any garden elements