5.20.2013

Old-Fashioned Caramel Cake Squares (Gluten-Free)

If I had a Great Aunt Mabel, I am certain
I would have grown up eating these cake squares at
her kitchen table, with a chilled glass of milk straight from the
ice-box and Frank Sinatra or Judy Garland singing away in the background.


Well, I don't have a Great Aunt Mabel...but
I have several old recipe boxes spilling over with
recipes from Grandmothers and Great-Grandmothers....
recipes that can easily be converted 
to Gluten-Free goodies.

This particular recipe has been adapted from an old McCall's Magazine
yellow cake recipe folded and creased and covered with love.



I used Cup4Cup as a cup for cup flour replacement; however, you can 
use whatever gluten free flour
blend you are accustomed to using.
(Of course, regular white flour also works if you are not on a restricted diet).

I make the cake in a 9 x 12 brownie/cake pan,
let cool 'til firm,
cut into squares, arrange on a platter, and 
then drip the amazing caramel icing over the individual cake squares.
Simply Divine.
(Adjust the amount of liquid in your icing to fit the consistency you enjoy...less
liquid allows for spreading, more liquid allows for drizzling....with leftovers for 
"tast-testing" of course.)

Cake:

2- 2/3 c  Cup4Cup flour or king Arthur Flour Measure for Measure

1/2 t  salt

2-1/4 t  baking powder

1 c (2 sticks )  Unsalted Butter (I love Cabot's) softened

2 cups  superfine sugar 

4 large eggs (separate ahead of time)

1-1/2 t  pure vanilla extract (I have also made with almond extract or orange extract with orange frosting)

1 cup milk (I use whole milk)

Caramel Icing:

1- 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar

3 T unsalted butter

1/2 cup heavy cream

Dash of Salt (no more than 1/8 t)

1/2 t pure vanilla extract

1 c confectioners sugar (powdered sugar)
(I like to sift first to avoid lumps)

Preheat oven to 350˚
grease 9 x 12 pan and dust with rice flour or Cup4Cup

Cake Recipe:

Sift Cup4Cup/Measure for Measure, baking powder and salt over a bowl. Set to the side.

In a mixing bowl, beat butter. Gradually add sugar, continue mixing until fluffy.

Slowly add egg yolks. Beat well after each.

Add vanilla.

Mix in dry flour mixture a little at a time.

Mix in milk.

Using a hand-mixer, or a whisk, beat the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff peaks form.

Fold into batter with a rubber spatula. Do not mix.

Pour mixture into greased, floured pan.

Cook 35-45 minutes (depending on pan type), until a toothpick comes out clean.

Let cool for 15-20 minutes or until cutting becomes easy.

Place squares on tray or on individual serving plates.

Icing:

Over medium -low heat, stir together brown sugar, butter, salt, and cream in a sturdy medium-sized pan.

Heat until just boiling, stirring constantly.

Shut off heat. Add vanilla and confectioner's sugar. Whisk until smooth. 

For a glazed look, immediately spoon over cake squares.

Enjoy!




26 comments:

  1. Lovely post and was great to discover your blog.
    Aren't the old recipes from our Grandmothers always so good.

    Happy week
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your recipe cards are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good afternoon mon amie! WOW, this is a deadly combination; blog hopping at DINNER TIME! This looks so good and indubitably NEW ENGLAND!

    Thank you for having participated in the France party! Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hi Anita! What a crazy week! It was my pleasure to participate, and I thank you so much for hostessing! I have met so many wonderful people. How lucky I am to have such wonderful friends and so many new ones!

      Delete
  4. This looks delicious..sinful perhaps. My daughter and daughter-in-law make gluten free quite often, they will love getting this one passed on to them...thanks!

    I get all excited when I find a recipe box or cookbook with handwritten recipes tucked inside and even old ones clipped from magazines like this one that you shared. They are few and far between in my junking ventures but when found are true treasures for sure. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. It is sinful! I am also very sentimental about the old recipes!
      I took this recipe box and photocopied the recipes and made little recipe books for my brothers and sisters. Wish I also had my other grandmother's recipe box!

      Delete
  5. Yum, they look absolutely delicious. Is there a story behind your recipe box? It looks to be an antique.

    E,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hi E.! Thanks, and yes! These recipes are a compilation of my grandmother Edna's recipes, and her mother, Eva's recipes. Eva actually cooked for several families, so there are some great recipes!

      Delete
  6. Those look downright yummo. I'm on a healthy eating, small portion regime.. no goodies except lowcal ones. But yours looks wunnnnnnnerful. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I am trying too Teresa...and moments like this make it very difficult! Happy long weekend!

      Delete
  7. Ha ha ha, my nana's name was Mabel, I have an Aunt Mabel, a cousin Mabel & another cousin who's middle name is Mae! All named after nana!

    I love old fashioned recipes like these! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Too funny! My sister's confirmation name was Mabel...I still remember the smirk on the priest's face as he said it!

      Delete
  8. I like the higgledy piggledy-ness of a recipe box.

    I do have my grandmother Ada's recipe book but most of it is all about home made wines!

    I enjoyed this post ND.

    Bye for now and I hope that you are enjoying your week

    Kirk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hi Kirk! What a delightful way to describe this!

      Oh homemade wines....what a treasure! Now there's a girl after my heart!

      Delete
  9. These squares are a beautiful things. Thanks for sharing.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks Velva....they are so rich and yummy...I enjoy them with an ice cold glass of milk...although I am on a bit of a diet now.

      Delete
  10. Oh my, these look delicious!! Have a wonderful holiday weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hi Alyson! Thanks! I hope you enjoy the long weekend as well!

      Delete
  11. Oh, oh, these look amazing! Husband is a big caramel fan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Me too...love to "test" the caramel.....and eat the leftovers on ice cream!

      Delete
  12. I'm salivating just from the photo. It looks easy enough for even a non- cook like me. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Yes, really not hard at all....don't be intimidated by the list of ingredients.

      Delete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...