4.17.2013

Tasty


We are always
looking to make a good
gluten-free baked good.
In our area of the country,
you just can't
get good gluten-free baked goods.
(no cross-contamination
due to Celiac)



I found a recipe for
gluten-free apple "cupcakes"
on the Cup4Cup site.
(I did add a little cinnamon)
recipe here.
(But we made a different frosting)
Note:  You can also use regular flour



The original recipe
calls for a 
whipped goat cheese frosting with
bacon sprinkles, which sounds heavenly to me...
but not so much to a 9 and 14 year old.
(and the 9 year old is the one who must
eat gluten-free)


I thought a caramel, drippy icing
would fit these nicely.
Which I must report it did.
My 14 year old ate 3 at a time.
He's the pickiest.
Score!


I would absolutely make these again.
The recipe filled a 12 slot cupcake pan (regular size), 
and then I poured the remaining
batter into a small glass pyrex
and made a small cake!

My Caramel Icing:
(sorry it's not more exact)

Melt one stick butter over low heat.

Add 1 cup packed brown sugar.

Stir constantly for about 2 minutes.

Stir in about 1/4 cup evaporated milk (can)

Continue stirring and bring to a boil.

At this point, I let it cool slightly, 
and then I start adding sifted (a must)
confectioner's sugar.

If you want a runny icing, use less sugar.
If you want to be able to spread, 
add more sugar.
(I used about a cup)

I whisk like crazy,
but you can
also use a hand mixer.

It hardens fast,
so use right away.

Hint: Sift the sugar ahead of time,
as you will be stirring.

❀❀❀❀❀

Where to purchase:  I buy mine at Gilt. It is a bit pricey, (sorry Cup4Cup), so
I wait for free shipping events, or discount codes, and then buy several bags.
It's a great mix, and so versatile. You will definitely want this in your gluten-free pantry.

I believe Williams-Sonoma may have it as well.


22 comments:

  1. WHIPPED GOAT CHEESE? Now that sounds unbelievably good! But for those of us who are lactose intolerant, what to do? Lovely recipe, however! Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Oh Anita, make the caramel icing with lactaid ! or almond milk!

      Delete
  2. You definitely have me at goat cheese frosting! I feel fortunate to be gluten free but not Celiac's. I don't need to worry about traces of gluten. You aren't missing anything with the ready-made gluten free sweets. I have not found one that I like. I really like to bake and freeze things, so this recipe looks great! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Yes, I always bake too much and freeze....but lately, it seems we unfreeze within days! Things go fast with 2 kids in the house.

      Delete
  3. Yummm! We're not gf, but I still want to try these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Yes, do try! I do not have any regular flour in my home any more due to the possibility of cross-contamination.

      Delete
  4. I have two gluten free friends that I will share this with. They look yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Yes Teresa....and tell them you want an invite when they bake it!

      Delete
  5. Looks delicious, ND! My goodness ~ you can use bacon for anything! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies


    1. Yes, and I probably would use it for anything!

      Delete
  6. Back Again!
    I am so glad that I've been going back through your posts that I missed. I just read the excerpt from your story, and I would certainly read on to find out what is going on in Monica's life. You have an easy, natural style ~ and we so need good young adult fiction!

    Let me see if I have this right: you're a wife, a mother, a teacher, have a big house with lawns and gardens, you blog, you do all these creative things, you do spontaneous things with your kiddos, and you don't have your act together? I think your plate is full to overflowing! So much to do! So little time!

    Be kinder to yourself, and don't give up those writing dreams! I have a lot of writing bits in drawers and boxes, and I'm finally finding time to deal with them and to write. Even if you can only grab a few minutes every few days, try to scrounge the time. I wish I hadn't waited quite as long. Surely I could have set aside more time ~ but you do what seems right at the time. It's easier looking back that moving forward. But ~ never give up. And good luck. I put this comment here because I didn't know if you would see it on the older post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Oh my goodness, you are so kind.

      First off, thanks for reading my writing! I am actually very "shy" about people reading my writing. Writing is such a personal thing! Easy and natural....my goodness you have made me smile! I really like your idea of giving it a few minutes a day. Often I can't do anything once I've thrown in the last load of laundry for the day....I Instagram in bed a bit and zonk out. Maybe 15 minutes of writing a night! Thanks for the suggestion!
      (I too have many pieces of unfinished writing!)

      And wow, when you described me I suddenly felt like Superwoman! You are right, I do all of those things...but I always tend to look at what I don't get to! Thanks for pointing this out to me too!

      Well FB, you certainly have picked me apart, and this was much cheaper than therapy, so thanks! Hope I can return the favor someday!

      Delete
  7. This looks scrumptious! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUM!!!!!!!!!!!! Cooking at home is the only way to deal with all of the allergens out there.
    xoxo
    SC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Yes, you are right! A lot fewer ingredients that way too!

      Delete
  9. I am really trying to avoid flour so I must try these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Give them a try...even without the frosting, they make a nice muffin!

      Delete
  10. Wow, these look stunning! Hope you are enjoying your time off with your children. Have a wonderful weekend!
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I have been Ivan, thanks! You have a good weekend too!

      Delete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...