3.12.2013

time

The ever so crafty and though-provoking folks over at FOLK Magazine have 
posed a journal challenge about time this week:

"Reflect on the Meaning of Time."
Hmmm, I thought. Time. Something I never seem to have enough of.

After a recent surgery, however, I suddenly found myself with time. Lots of time.
Time alone (ok, there was an adorable pug nearby).
For the first few weeks
it was just about resting and reading. I caught up on five summer's worth of reading. 
I went to bed early and listened to books on my Kindle.

As time progressed and I had certain physical restrictions, I had
Thinking Time.

Lots of thinking time.

I pondered my future, my career.
I love teaching.
But art has been calling.
Writing and photography. 

Homemade wedding favors. 
Vintage wares....my Etsy shop.

Art has been tugging at my heartstrings.

 I thought about our organic raised bed garden.

I flipped through the glossy Baker Creek catalog, 
carefully selecting seeds 
for our garden:

Pumpkins and tomatoes. Peas and beans.
Eggplant and onions........
I tried to leave the TV off everyday, instead,
raising the shades and letting the sunshine's 
encompassing rays keep me company.
I had
Blogging Time. 
I read my favorites every morning. I love reading blogs....keeping up
with people's lives, seeing what they
 have decorated, watching families grow, lending an ear...being inspired.
I had 
 Instagram Time (Nantucketdaffodil), and became a little obsessed.

I had
Baking Time, and boy did my kids like this!


I had
Crafting Time...food for the soul.
So if I could pick what
I would do all of the time...

I would grow this in endless fields
(although I am content with 30 plants):

I would style this:
and stage this:


I would  spend days making fresh food from our garden:

and I would visit the zinnias more often...

I would craft hydrangea wreaths in every hue...
...and I would get lost in the pumpkin patch.
I would restock our little farmstand with organic treats....

I would walk through the 
sun-dappled woods....
exploring the textures, the sounds....the silence.
I would welcome the seasonal changes...
...reveling in the heat or the color, the lost daylight....or the March wind....

...and most of all, I would spend every free moment with these two cuties.

I am so lucky that time
is on my side.

(all photos copyright Monica at Prince Snow Farm)


30 comments:

  1. A beautiful post! All of those ways to spend time sound lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post. I noticed you would never waste a precious minute. Enjoyed my visit tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks! I never really looked at it that way...but you are so right! I am so glad you came by for a visit!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely post. If only life was that easy ...but maybe you need to take a little more TIME and make some of the ways how you'd really like to spend time become your way of life. I sometimes needed to sit on the outside and look in and think about how I could make changes to do something I really wanted to be doing.What a wonderful life you would have, doing all those things you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh a girl can dream Barbara! I DO have a wonderful life...more would only be the icing.

      Delete
  4. A sweet post and you seem to enjoy most all of the things I do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks Michelle! I had a feeling we liked a lot of the same things.... :)

      Delete
  5. Such a lovely post. Hope you have recovered fully! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks Alyson! I am feeling great. Tired by 7:30...but I usually am when teaching anyhow! You are so sweet! It is 54 here right now...how about there?

      Delete
  6. What a great post! all your flowers are just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks Carol. I do LOVE my flowers....they are inspiring, calming, thought-provoking and food for my soul.

      Delete
  7. I loved reading this.. there is no better luxury than to dream of things you would like to do with your time. I think Spring is a wonderful time for making plans.. now I want to plant zinnias!! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hi teresa! You are right, spring is a time of planning! Yes, buckets of zinnias, as one can NEVER have enough!

      Delete
  8. Good morning sweet friend! I would say that you spent you TIME very well. The thing is, we are all so used to using up our time with work (important) and other duties. But we often miss the very details you have shared. I hope you are well, on the mend, and preparing for yet another opportunity to give your time to the beauty in your life. Time is precious for sure. BRAVO! Anita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hello Anita! I am well, thank you, and have been trying to REACH towards my hopes and dreams! You are too sweet!

      Delete
  9. You used your downtime so well. Inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hi Sarah! I try to! I don't think I realized how well until I wrote this!!!! Thanks for the sweet comment!

      Delete
  10. Oh do not ever leave us...we enjoy you so much. please be well and hopefully you will recover fully soon. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hi Anonymous (do I know you?????).....I am glad you enjoy my blog, as I write just as much for my readers as myself! It brings chills and a smile to realize that people enjoy my posts, so thanks!! I am well and back to work, thanks!

      Delete
  11. What a beautiful post, Monica. Thanks for sharing your words and photos with us. And I'm really enjoying following you on Instagram. Thanks for spending some time with all of us ;)
    Cheers,
    Loi
    PS - Are your early spring bulbs blooming yet? My snowdrops and crocuses are putting on a lovely show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Hi Loi! Have you returned? I am enjoying Instagram as well. I feel it's a bit more personal....never thought I'd be hooked. And due to Instagram, Thermador is going to fix my stove!!!! Wahoo! More news to follow.
      It's only 54 degrees, but feels like heaven. Glad to hear your garden is delighting you! Hooray for spring. (cold here tomorrow)

      Delete
  12. Hello, Certainly want to take the 'time' to say how lovely all those photos are! Isn't it funny, with time on your hands...
    that you thought of such simple, pure & joyful pursuits.... Hope you are on the mend, Monica Hart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Monica, thanks so much! I hadn't really thought of the direction of my pursuits so specifically; however, aas you say this

      Delete
    2. Oops... As you say this it all makes sense to me!

      Delete
  13. Wow, what a wonderful post - I wanted to step inside and walk around; beautiful words and pictures, thank you! I bet Stormy is missing you, being back at school (hello Stormy!). Guess what, I spoke too soon... we have your snow here!! The daffodils are out and frozen!
    Ivan
    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks Ivan....these photos help me get through the winter! Yes, I miss Stormy terribly! She would sit on my lap at the computer every morning and then she would follow me around. I have only had to leave babies, and I never realized leaving a pet would be just as heartfelt. How is your sweet pug?

      Delete
    2. He is good thank you, back legs slow (as with many pugs!) but very happy - his birthday is soon, so if it possible to spoil him some more...
      Hope your week was good and your weekend is even better!!
      Ivan

      Delete
  14. Is that your garden in the picture? It is SO charming. The little fence is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Yes Erin all of the photos are our gardens, fruits and veggies! My husband crafted the fence from vines hanging in our woods last spring. I is about 75 feet long...that photo is deceiving!

      Delete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...