Prince Snow Farm

2.12.2013

Aurore

Recently I visited the Beekman 
where Josh and Brent had written a Valentine's post
asking people to write short stories about their
favorite neighbor.



 for you and
your neighbor.

"Hmmm....", I thought. I love chocolates, and "I have a perfect neighbor to write about!"

So I cozied up with a pencil and a notebook and let the memories spill onto the page.

“Back in 1963 my parents bought a bungalow in a seaside community. I (the 4th in line out of 5)) came along two years later. We had a glorious childhood: family baseball games from morning to night, bicycle rides to pick wild raspberries, frappes and lime rickies at the local drugstore where our father was the pharmacist….but some of the most lasting memories came from Aurore.

Aurore and Bob lived next door to us, in an antique, natural shingled cape. A huge barn sat behind the house. Beyond the barn was a bountiful vegetable garden overflowing with hubbard squash and peas and tomatoes. In between the rows, day-glo petunias self-seeded themselves, adding a pop of color to the lush green landscape.

Many nights after dinner I would sit in Aurore’s kitchen 
while she washed her dinner dishes. She always made a home-cooked meal, even after working all day as a private duty nurse. She would offer me a cookie from the cookie jar, and we would chat about wild violets, irises, and mint.

Aurore and Bob gave us free reign of the field beyond the garden. We tumbled through the yellow hay, chasing one another to the marsh and down the boardwalk to the river.

When I was 8, I begged to have a flower garden. Aurore lovingly gave me flowers and cuttings from her own garden. She taught me how to gently pull the weeds and remove the spent blossoms.

I have my own home and garden now. As I tug my garlic from the warm brown earth, or carry in an overflowing bouquet of lavender, I think of Aurore. Her patient guidance is always by my side. She is 91 and gardens and cooks, and loves life. She was my special neighbor, and is still a special friend.”



And guess what folks....I won!!!!! Yippee! Hooray!!!!! 
I am so proud...gushing actually. 


I love to write, love to garden, 
love Aurore.



Winning this contest
has motivated me to 
to really focus
on my garden plan
for this spring......
and to 
always recall those childhood 
memories...the stories of
 people who shaped me
into the person I
am today.... a neighbor, a parent, a teacher,
 the milkman :)


Grand Prize: NantucketDaffodil aka Prince Snow Farm. "We love this story about how a neighbor can have a lifelong lasting impact, especially when it comes to good food and gardening. Hopefully this story will remind us all of how we can shape the lives of our young neighbors" Josh and Brent












29 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your win! I so enjoyed reading about your special neighbor, Aurore, and how she helped shape your love of gardening and life. Thank you for sharing this happy story. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherri. Thanks! This one is close to my heart!

      Delete
  2. Many congratulations! Beautiful piece. I love it. I love your writing and point of view. Thank you for sharing this - xo, Loi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Loi! I have always felt a bit awkward putting my writing out there...so thanks for the support.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations, you so deserve this win. A delightful piece of writing full of love and warmth.

    Sheilagh :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks Sheilagh! I am glad the love shines through!

      Delete
  4. That is so wonderful! Congrats on your win!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had an Aurore to teach me to garden. We have lovely neighbors now and had I known about the party, I might have tried to beat you out - just for the chocolate!

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. You are too funny! The challenge would have been on...I can get very competitive!!

      Delete
  6. YAY! You go girl. I love my lavendar..keep it close by. You deserved to win:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, what a lovely lovely piece of writing. Your "story" is so touching and real and poignant. You, and Aurore (what a beautiful name!) are fortunate indeed. And, enjoy your chocolates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks so much! It is nice to know that our life stories can touch others!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on your yummy win! I'm not surprised, what a darling story!It reminds me how important it is to be a mentor to those who are interested in learning from us. What a blessing to have this dear women in your life still!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne! Yes, we are all mentors to someone without realizing it!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations! What a lovely piece of narrative nonfiction. You were lucky to grow up with neighbors like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks Sarah! You are a good critic to have, as this is your "thing"! I was very lucky. My parents still live next door to Aurore, and my mom and Aurore go grocery shopping together...very sweet!

      Delete
  10. Congratulations! Your story is lovely! What a special neighbor! Enjoy that chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, this made my eyes water, I'm so happy she's still with you! Happy Valentine's Day & congrats on your win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Aw thanks! I am glad she is too! I can't wait to deliver chocolates to her...

      Delete
  12. How could you not win, that was such a sweet image you painted - Well done! Love the garden photos, I am dreaming of spring and early summer at the moment...
    Hope you are all well.
    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks Ivan. I had to insert a few garden photos to let me dream of spring as well!

      Hope your time in Paris was amazing! (the photos were!)

      Delete
  13. Congratulations Nantucket Daffodil! What a lovely story! How wonderful to have grown up with such amazing neighbors! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks FFM! Happy Valentine's Day! Yes, I was very, very lucky!

      Delete
  14. I don't care about your chocolate. I think about your garden. This is so beautiful. You plant both flowers and vegetables and everything in right place. I like your garden very much.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...