7.28.2014

Lavender



Typically we harvest large quantities of lavender , dry it flat and strip the crispy stems into bowls, then store in covered pails.  Usually I have enough dried lavender to fill sachets as gifts for a whole year. 

A friend's daughter asked if we could supply her with some dried lavender for wedding centerpieces. So this year we have bundles tied and hanging from the hearth. They are drying perfectly.



And even though this year proved to be a terrible year for the quantity of lavender, (due to the harsh winter), it has been a year of gorgeous quality lavender.


I have picked enough to keep a bit, and then we left a bit for the bees. After all, when you see bees, the last thing you want to do is take away their food supply! We need to keep Earth's pollinator's healthy and multiplying!


And with the perennial/ vegetable garden just beyond the lavender patch, I know that those bees will also be worker bees in our garden, helping to supply our family with a plentiful bounty.

I DO need your help!  We are going to replant as many lavender plants as we can afford to this year.
I need to know your favorites! Your highest producers, your best lavender for scent and drying and color. But I also need to know about hardy lavender. Ours has been exceptional. Fifteen years of tremendous production. We are in zone 6B, bordering on Cape Cod. So we are coastal, and yes, we get all of those coastal storms!


Eventually we would love to have 50 thriving lavender plants. I think we will return to Cape Cod Lavender Farm, as our very old grand dames were purchased there.


Please share your thoughts and favorites!
Enjoy the week….I'm off to the garden!

6 comments:

  1. Your photos are always beautiful, but these are truly gorgeous. What a wonderful harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just attended a lavender distillation workshop at this place: http://www.lospoblanos.com/lavendar-organic-farm/ Way outside your area/zone but they found that gros lavender was the hardiest for weather extremes. It isn't for eating though they have tried. I hope to grow some next year. Thanks for your lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot imagine just how great it must smell at your place :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to think of different kinds of lavender! I have only seen it growing in England, I think it is too hot for it in Georgia. Your photos of it tied up with ribbon, they are just so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finally had time to check my Blogger feed today and your blog caught my eye! Without a doubt Grosso, also called Fat Spike, would be my recommendation to you. I think one of the other commenter's recommended it also (they called is Gros). Ugly name but wonderful choice. I had it recommended to me by a nursery owner when I lived in central VA because it can thrive through cold winters and humid summers. I actually had several full grown specimens that I successfully transplanted when I moved from a Zone 6/7 area to a Zone 7/8 area in VA, and this after they spent a winter in pots (in a protected spot) while waiting for a spring transplant. I think of about 7 or 8 plants I only lost one of them. Everything I've read about them has me convinced they are the best. I'm now living in WV - Zone 6a - and have recently planted about a dozen of them here. Planted small pots in late June, they have now tripled in size (but then we've been having copious amounts of rainfall this summer). Its a tall/large variety, I must add. Will have to keep a close watch to see which you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monica: I just thought you might be interested in this post:http://peoniesandposies.com/2014/07/30/looking-after-lavender/
    It's from my friend Julie in England, all about her lavender. And, I since found out that "French" lavender is the same thing as what I have, "Spanish" lavender! Anyway, you might want to read, or do you know her? I'm going to visit her in early September!!!! Yes, I will stay with her family for a few days and we will see lots of gardens: cannot wait, of course!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...