11.25.2012

Pumpkin Pie...Better Late Than Never

 Although I had great intentions, I actually didn't get a chance to make a pie until the day after Thanksgiving....which was actually ok. We made our own little turkey the next day, and the pie was a perfect accompaniment. 

 As many of you remember, we grew many varieties of pumpkins, but the ones I really wanted to try for pies were the Connecticut Field Pumpkins. I had never used my own pumpkin in a pie before, so I needed help...and serious advice. That's when Botanical Brain (Jessie Keith) pulled through for me. Not only did she give me step by step instructions, but she also shared her own personal pie recipe. How lucky can a girl get.
 

I chose the steam baking method...just as I had done with my butternut squash the day before.  Cut in fourths. Place skin side up in a baking pan. Add enough water to cover the bottom. 


Seal up tightly with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately an hour,
 or until a knife slides easily through the flesh.


Let cool slightly, then scoop /scrape the pumpkin from  the skin.  (Don't wait too long, because they will suck up the water from the pan as they are cooling).I actually used 2 pans and a large slotted spoon. I wanted to get as much of the liquid out as possible.I would scoop, let the water run into the other pan, and press a tablespoon against it to push even more liquid out.


Then I put the pumpkin in the food processor and pureed until smooth. Too bad I don't have a baby, as this would make great baby food :)

Ok, here's Botanical Brain's recipe:

BB: "My specialty! There's nothing better than fresh pumpkin pie. I grow 'Winter Luxury' pumpkins every year just to make fresh pie. Here are my instructions for processing the pumpkin 
(Taken from a blog I wrote a while back)":

BB: "Roasting is my favorite method for making pumpkin mash because it enhances the sweetness of the fruit while retaining its nutrients. (Steaming also works but boiling leaches out vitamins and antioxidants.) To roast fresh pumpkin, cut the pumpkins evenly in half and clean out the seeds. Be sure to put the seeds aside for roasting. Turn the clean pumpkin halves upside down onto parchment paper or a lightly oiled sheet pan, and place in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for around 30 minutes or until fork-tender. (The thin-skinned 'Winter Luxury' are easily pierced from the outside by a fork, but thicker-skinned pumpkins will need to be turned around and pierced from the inside.) The inverted pumpkins will steam and stay moist in the oven. 

Let the roasted pumpkin shells cool and then scoop them out, and put the flesh in a food mill to mill out any strings or lumps. To make doubly sure the pumpkin is smooth, place it in a blender or food processor and process it further for a minute or two. Now the mash is pie-ready. At this stage, you can either freeze it in freezer-safe bags/containers, or you can make pie."

And here's my favorite pie recipe:

Rich Pumpkin Pie

3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 large eggs
2 cups pumpkin mash
1 cup evaporated milk, half-and-half or heavy cream (lightest to heaviest; it's your call, depending on how much fat you want to ingest)
1 unbaked 9-inch deep-dish pie shell
(Makes one pie)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Throw all the spices and wet ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth and well-mixed. Pour into a chilled, prepared pie shell (marked with lots of fork holes along the bottom and sides), and bake for around 45 to 50 minutes or until the pie's center is no longer jiggly and a toothpick can be inserted in the center and come out clean. Once the pie is cool, cut a slice and hit it with a mountain of fresh whipped cream.


I followed BB's recipe to a T. I DID have to cook for a little over an hour, but every oven is different! 
I was able to make 2 pies from 1 medium sized pumpkin.
 I used heavy cream. We did sneak a piece before it had thoroughly cooled. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! This will be my go to recipe from now on. After I let it cool, it firmed up perfectly.  Perfect pumpkin spice flavor. We may have to repeat at Christmas.

Gluten Free Tip:  We made one pie with a ready made crust. I do not cook with regular flour due to my daughter's celiac disease, so I chose a ready made crust to avoid cross contamination. I then poured the remaining mixture into a pie pan without a crust to make a gluten free pie. It was perfect after chilling. I think next time I may pour into custard cups and make a pumpkin custard.

Please visit me (Prince Snow Farm) and Botanical Brain, and all of our other gardening friends at YourGardenShow.com. I practically live there during the growing season. It's a must for gardener's everywhere!






6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, homemade pumpkin pie! How yummy!! We are enjoying a store bought pumpkin pie later tonight. I'll pretend it's yours :)
    And yes, I remember all the pumpkins you grew!
    I hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful.
    Take care,
    Loi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loi, you sure are good for a girl's cooking esteem :) Do you think we should make a pie from Max?? We are going to cut open for seeds...seems like surgery!

      Delete
  2. Great idea on just pouring into the pie pan for a GF crust. My sister is GF so I'm always looking for great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing! The only thing extra I add is some molasses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks absolutely yummy! Love the new look blog.
    x
    Melissah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! This looks fantastic! Love pumpkin pie from scratch! xxo Monica

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...