9.07.2012

Thermador Professional Range /Oven /Stove Review. Customer Service is a Letdown

Back in 2003 we were very excited. We were about to welcome our 2nd child, and we were putting in our dream kitchen. We had everything packed, construction started. C was born in November...and construction continued. Christmas came and went. In January of 2004, we purchased our appliances. After much research, we settled on the Thermador PGR486GdZS,  the all gas 48 inch professional range with  griddle. We were so excited!  In the spring, we inevitably had to fire the contractor. Problem after problem. Our gorgeous appliances sat in their boxes, as family and friends came to the rescue, installing cabinetry, painting, crafting moldings. In the spring of 2004, the kitchen was finished, appliances professionally installed...we were running!

Now let me backtrack a bit...we (as most of you know) are teachers. We live simply, take one short road trip a year, don't go out much....this was our one big splurge. The one we knew we would never do again. The one we didn't think we would have to do again. After all,when you spend as much on a stove as you would on a used car, why would you?

Shortly after the warranty expired, the broiler was only lighting on one side. We lived with it...cooking under that one side. Then the griddle went on the fritz. We would have to turn it on, turn it off, turn it on, turn it off, in order for it to heat up. Then we had a power outage, and when the power came back on, the mother board was fried. Luckily, insurance covered most of the cost of the mother board.
(500.00-600.00).  This year, in May, I went to turn on my stove, and the main oven would not work at all. We used the small side oven, and saved for repairs. When we called the folks at our local Thermador repair shop, they were amazed at all of the repairs that the stove needed. The repairman also told us to stop using the small oven, as he could smell gas.

Several of the star burners ignitors were gone or going, which is why it was taking several times before they would light, if at all.  The ignition devise and reignition bake modules were shot. The griddle needed new parts. The broiler needed new parts.  What?? Our dream kitchen was turning into a nightmare. We contacted Thermador to see if they would help with parts. My first call was made July 6th...today, September 7th, 2012, after countless customer service reps, countless emails, calls to a cell # we haven't had in over 10 years, we are disgusted. Today Thermador decided that our stove was too old to help. They kept referring to it as being 10 years old. Perhaps their math needs as much help as their customer service.

So now we have spent all of our summer without an oven. Our 8 and 13 year olds have been VERY patient. Having a daughter with Celiac Disease, we cannot eat out, we must cook at home. The challenges of gluten free cooking on top of the stove or in the microwave were endless. A whole summer of their lives and ours without what should be a "modern convenience"...Thermador made it a modern day inconvenience.

My advice to you: DO NOT BUY THERMADOR PRODUCTS. 
Thermador File # 830559

35 comments:

  1. How frustrating! So sorry to hear of your woes over SUCH a big ticket item!! We will be renovating our kitchen in the next couple of years so thank you for sharing your honest opinion and experience with this product - I'll be sure to look for something else. In the meantime, I hope the company salvages it's reputation and fixes your stove SOON!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. My pleasure Lisa....you know my blog is usually a bit more carefree in the post department...but I couldn't let this slip by.....

      Delete
  2. That's horrible! If you wanted crappy appliance that only lasted a few years, then obviously you wouldn't have spent all of that money, but you didn't, you wanted a solid stove that was going to last. Shame on Thermador! Best of luck getting it all resolved :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. You are so right! I thought I was getting a "solid" appliance....not just a decoration. Thanks for your concern and comment.

      Delete
  3. thank you so much for info on this product... i wonder if we all complained to the company, stating never to buy their products, hoping they would replace your appliance without question to save face and reputation... just a thought... i would be glad to do that for you... i'm so sorry you had to go though this... also, i hope you belong to angie's list... more people would know about this, the company would have no recourse but to replace... thanx again for info...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies


    1. You are too sweet! I think certain companies just have developed bad reputations, and don't seem to care about working to fix them! Hope this was helpful :)

      Delete
  4. I'm glad to know that as I was about to buy kitchen stuff
    xoxo
    SC

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry!! It sounds like you had a terrible experience with what should have been a super nice product - that lasted the rest of your lifetime! Thank you for sharing with us, though, so we won't be buying this stove!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks for your kind words! I thought it would last...makes me sad that we invested hard earned money in this...lesson learned.

      Delete
  6. I would be happy to write/email the company too as another poster offered. Have you tweeted about this too? I have done that and companies have responded.

    We have a LG HE top loading washer. And I would tell people NEVER buy one. NEVER.

    Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I have tweeted this post; however, anyone else who wants to retweet it, I'm sure that would be helpful! Thanks for the LG info as well.

      Delete
  7. Replies


    1. My pleasure...wish it could have been the other way around...I was so looking forward to a favorable post!

      Delete
  8. Oh, I'm very sorry :( I don't like hearing about this, and will keep it in mind as I occasionally help with kitchen renovations. I'm so glad you shared this info with us. Hopefully Thermador will do the right thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks Loi! I am still hoping that Thermador will make it right.

      Delete
    2. Hopefully good news to come. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  9. I am so sorry that happened to you. I wish there was some way they could help. I will say a prayer right now that they can! Crossing my fingers for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Aw thanks...you are so sweet. I am amazed at the kind words I have received. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  10. OMG that's awful! Don't give up, write the president and tell him what you told us!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure they know you bought their EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE product on a teachers salary too!!!

      Delete
  11. Oh brother that is a pain in the neck. I hope you find a resolution. The stove has been a lemon.

    Love,
    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a mess! thanks for the heads up if we ever decide to buy new appliances!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. My pleasure....wish I'd had the same advice!

      Delete
  13. I really feel for you. It must be so infuriating and upsetting for this to happen to your (relatively) new kitchen. I hope you resolve the problem - good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to hear about this, what a pain in the neck. I would call again and ask for a manager. If that does not work, I would send a letter to corporate offices. My brother uses Viking equipment and loves it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks for the advice...Viking may be the way to go!

      Delete
  15. Sorry about the oven ... what a pain! But at least you have a good excuse not to cook!

    Melissah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. It is a pain! Unfortunately though, I LOVE to cook ;)

      Delete
  16. Good Morning My Twitter Friend! I just caught your sad stove story... and I am so glad you are fighting back with social media! We renovated our 1930s cottage a few years ago and ALMOST purchased a Thermador just like yours. My husband loved the blue lights, the big dial, and the professional appearance as it reminded him of his boat somehow. However, we went with the Viking due to space restrictions and have really loved it! We could have easily been in your shoes - and I can really relate to your frustration. It is hard to believe some high end companies can have such low end customer service. Thank you for sharing your story! You were so sweet to blog about our little company when we first hit the market last summer, we would like to stitch a pillowbabble especially for you to hopefully brighten your day. Please visit our website and tweet me or email me what you would like for us to stitch for you! Our treat! We love your blog and your spirit! Keep up the babblicious work! \!/ \!/ Babs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Babs, you are soooo sweet! I have an idea...email me at maggie_3@comcast.net

      Delete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...