9.16.2012

The Cycle of Life ♥

Two weeks ago my son and his friend found an injured hummingbird.
We gave it some sugar water and a few zinnias, and hoped for the best.

Its brothers and sisters rallied around it...humming dangerously close to my head as I leaned to check on our friend. They were calling back and forth to one another...and apparently the "elder" hummingbirds were bringing enough food to keep our friend alive. Whenever I would check, he was sitting there twittering, and then 2 or 3 hummingbirds would come flying amidst the zinnias, ready to feed, console or carry away their dear friend if they could.


Every few days I picked the best and brightest zinnias and lay them down below, thinking perhaps they would nourish and strengthen our friend. He seemed grateful as he darted his long tongue forward, and nuzzled the blossoms as he would his missing mama.


I knew there was little chance he would fly again. His little wings torn and disfigured. But I hoped. beyond hope. I begged Mother Nature to make an exception. Today I found our little friend. His tried little body laying amidst the spent zinnia blossoms.  I cried. And cried. I cried for his fight and his strength and his desire to live. I cried for his beauty and anguish. I cried because sometimes it seems so unfair that we cannot fix what needs fixing.
___

I scooped the little body up with a pumpkin leaf and carried it gently to  Maggie's garden. I dug a shallow grave with a Dora shovel, placing it beside our beloved 18 year old cat who died last May. I lay the best and brightest zinnia in the garden upon it, hoping to infuse a bit of life back into the lifeless body. I choked back the tears .....

I will plant zinnias here next year in honor of our little friend's fight, his strength, and his beauty. 
He was loved.

20 comments:

  1. This brought back such memories. Last month, a little bird flew right into a glass pane of our back door as I was hanging up the dogs' leashes. It was so stunned and in such shock. I really didn't know what to do. I just stood there watching. Fortunately, it was okay and eventually flew away after what seemed like an eternity. I'm so, so sorry. Your post really touched me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Glad your bird was ok Loi! Thanks for your kindness.

      Delete
  2. Oh your post speaks volumes to me. I am so sorry.

    I am the exact same way. I love god's little creatures.

    Love,
    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's such a sad story, it was all going so well too. i've been in this situation before. 4 baby seagulls got pushed from their nest and set up shop right outside our house at the side of the road. i tried to look after them when i was in, people started to care and try help them but them people would terrorize them and it's hard to deal with. they couldn't try and eventually one got hit by a car, which was horrible to see. the other 3 actually made flight about 3 weeks later and now are fully grown living on top of my house none the less!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Living on your roof! Oh my goodness! At least you can keep track of them now!

      Delete
  4. at least i'm not the only one that cries and helps small creatures... i did the same with a dragonfly... god bless it's little soul and it thanks you... not all humans are horrible... there are a few of us that cares so much for these special little creatures that bless our lives with their beauty... thank you for trying to hard... god bless...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Aw thanks. You are all making me feel so much better :)

      Delete
  5. Aww, it's sad to see little creatures injured and then not make it. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not only did you provide great care to this little creature, but so did his family and friends! I can't understand why some people don't believe that animals love and feel deeply.

    When I help an animal and it still doesn't make it, I remind myself that at least I helped free it from some suffering, with food, with water, with comfort, with medical attention, etc.

    You definitely helped make its final days easier. And I'm sure he knew you were helping him.:)

    I have a list of local animal rehabs in my area with a description of what services they provide and what kinds of animals they will help. Every area is different and most don't charge for their services. We live in the country and I have helped a lot of animals in the past. Just make sure if you do take them somewhere, it is a place you are comfortable with. I have heard that some places are horrible and I think, in those cases, the animals would be better left outside with the extra care we can provide them.

    It takes a tender heart to stop and help little creatures.:)

    E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks...we really did try! And I agree....have to be so careful who you trust these little creatures with.

      Delete
  7. .. How beautiful and kind !!!!! My 6 yr old just experienced her first pet death this week. A 4 yr old wheaten terrier died suddenly of kidney failure. It's a sad thing! But something that is unfortunately part of life..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Aw thanks! I am so sorry about your dog :( We have a 1 year old pug, and I can't even imagine. Hope you are all ok.

      Delete
  8. Awww that was so sweet that you nursed this little hummingbird. What an experience for your kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post made me cry, I feel so sorry for that little bird. I wish more people realized that animals are living, breathing, beings. You were very kind to God's little creature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks for your sweet words. This little guy touched a lot of lives.

      Delete
  10. Your writing is completely beautiful - how can I feel this sad over a little bird I never saw x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh girl this broke my heart. Poor thing! I have a soft spot in my heart for birds. Especially hummingbirds. Can't believe his little friends came to try and take care of him. Wow!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...