9.29.2012

She's My Hero

Those of you that have been following me here in blogland for a while, know that my daughter suffers from something called Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS). C (age 8, turning 9 in November),  has suffered from this mysterious illness since infancy. She was diagnosed at age 3 by a pediatric neurologist at Hasbro in Providence, Rhode Island. Never heard of it?  You are not alone, although it is recorded in medical books back into the 1800's.

Cyclic Vomiting is just what its name suggests, vomiting in cycles. Every person's cycle is different. Many people have an episode after a trigger,( stress (good or bad) / or a food perhaps),  has been present. Others, like C, are triggered by time. C is what is called a "Calendar Kid". Since early childhood, we have literally put an estimate on the calendar, and have pretty accurately determined when C's episode was coming. Luckily, as her age has progressed, she has gained a few days each year. When I started recording at age 3, her episodes were 50 some odd days apart, in early 2012, they were hovering around 80 days.


Then, a miracle happened....the summer came and went....no episode. One hundred days....one twenty, one thirty....then this past Sunday, on the 154th day, an episode hit. We knew it was coming that night. How? Every time an episode is coming, C's world spins upon waking. Horrible nausea and vertigo rock her little world. She is then fine for the rest of the day; however, we know it's coming that night.

C always wants to stay up late the night an episode is coming. She knows that somehow, once her little body has fallen into a deep slumber, SOMETHING is triggered within her brain or stomach (this is the mystery), and the episode begins. Sometimes it's midnight. Sometimes 1:00 am. This time, she fell asleep at 9:00pm, and woke up vomiting at 9:45pm. I grabbed the bowl from my spot in her trundle, and prepared for a night filled with wretching, gagging, at times sobbing, speaking in tongues(that's what I call her comatose like confusion). Here is where we experience another cycle. Another oddity. Her starting cycle follows til morning. This time, it was 20-30 minute intervals. Yes, this 40 some-odd pound 8 yr old vomited violently every 20-30 minutes for 8 hours. We have learned not to try to stop it mid-way by letting her sit up and watch TV, because it will come back the next night to finish what it started.



This was by far her worst episode. What she bought in time, was stolen by this wicked illness. I knew that if it had returned the 2nd night, C would end up in the hospital from dehydration, and exhaustion. Luckily, it spared her the 2nd night, and as I kept vigil in her trundle again, praying she would remain in her peaceful slumber, my prayers were answered.

We both stayed home Monday, laying low, trying to recover. C suffered vertigo for a day or two, and then it was gone, C's life back to normal, her cheeks rosy again, her bubbly personality returned.


You'd think our little girl would be bitter, angry with her illness; however, she is not. She had a hip brace shortly after birth, wore a helmet, had torticollis, was diagnosed with CVS in 2007, and then  with Celiac Disease in 2011. Yet she is kind and giving. She lives life to the fullest EVERY day, breathing in what life has to offer, and spreading it to others. She, more than anyone else in this world, is my ultimate teacher. She teaches us all to overcome, to rejoice, to live. She's my hero.

44 comments:

  1. What a sweet little lamb. - How difficult for you to see her go through this misery. We can only pray that these episodes get farther apart each time until they are no more. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks so much. I would take it on myself in a heartbeat.

      Delete
  2. Poor baby...my heart aches for her. When I'm sick that how bad it is for me. I usually pass out...etc... It's awful. My husband suffers from vertigo episodes...completely debilitating. Grrr...so sorry you have to go through this. As a mom that's torture. Praying for your girlie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks Becky. I feel for your husband. Vertigo is so difficult. Thanks for your sweet words.

      Delete
  3. Oh my, I can't imagine how your heart aches when she's having an episode. What a strong little girl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. It is heartbreaking. She is amazing! Thanks!

      Delete
  4. What a brave and beautiful girl! She has been through so much, and I can just imagine how your heart aches for her. How wonderful though that she takes it all stride, and is such a giving and loving little lady. I know you must be extremely proud! Thank you for sharing the update with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks..I know that you have gone through a lot with your own family as well, we really do have to advocate for our kids :)

      Delete
  5. I stopped by to thank you for the very nice comment you left for me. I'm so sorry to learn of your sweet daughter's illness. Her episodes sound like a nightmare for both of you. What a relief when it's all over. Bless you both. It seems that both of you are able to appreciate life to its fullest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I enjoyed visiting your blog. It certainly makes you appreciate life, you are right.

      Delete
  6. your daughter is a teacher of the world... we all have our own struggles but that doesn't mean life is horrible... she's proof of that... she is a beacon in the darkness for all of us to follow... thank you for sharing your story with me and the rest of us... she is also my hero and i am grateful that she has come into my life... god bless...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. To know that she is inspiring others is the greatest gift of all.Your hero too? Amazing. She will be so proud.

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh, I cannot imagine going through that! It must be so frustrating and scary to watch this tiny being get so sick! I hope she has another VERY long stretch with out it creeping up on her again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Aw thanks! We are also hoping for a verrrrry long stretch. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  8. I'm sure you hear comments all the time from "well meaning people" (LOL), but have you tried Antivert for the vertigo? It is a prescription medicine that's not expensive. I had a relative who got vertigo so bad, she would be in the hospital. But Antivert helped tremendously.

    Glad she has a sweet Mom like you, it makes all the difference!

    E.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks E. We haven't tried Antivert. I wonder if you can take it just for a day? We have avoided other trial meds due to the fact that they hadn't been used in kids, and C would have to take every day for a 4-5 times a year kind of thing. I will look into this, and always welcome advice. Your kind words are appreciated.

      Delete
    2. She didn't take it everyday, only when she started to feel sick. It was my Grandma who used it and she was living with us at the time. She even used it for nausea if she got the flu. Good luck!

      E.

      Delete
  9. What a sweet brave girl you have. Hopefully the cycles continue to grow so far apart, it disappears altogether xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks! I agree....let them fade away forever.....

      Delete
  10. My heart goes out to your little girl. I wish I had the answer...I really do.

    Love,
    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Just having friends who cares......the best medicine.....

      Delete
  11. That is so awful, but she sounds so awesome. I love when our kids can be an inspiration to us. I love that she is your hero!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I agree....they challenge us to be the best we can!

      Delete
  12. amazing story... my thoughts and many prayers are coming your way for your precious family... she is God's little angel... xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I had no idea. Blessings & prayers to your family! She is such a doll and one strong little girl.
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks Monica...such sweet words...we are blessed.

      Delete
  14. Your daughter is very beautiful and healthy looking....I would have never guessed. I admire her strength and spirit very much. To be 8 and to have gone through so much....I can't even imagine. Thank you for sharing and educating all of us on CVS. And I hope there will be no more episodes for C. Loi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Than you Loi. I agree, she is a very healthy looking child. I appreciate your kind words. If everyone who reads this educates just one person, we are on our way :)

      Delete
  15. She sounds like a truly amazing child. As an adult I have suffered migraines - 8 eights of vomiting at a time - I get them a couple of times a year and I would not wish that on any child. I am so sorry that your little girl goes through that - it's seems so unfair to put an innocent child through that. I am so pleased to hear for the rest of the time she smiles, laughs and plays and can forget about it. I hope they find a cure or she grows out of it!

    Melissah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks so much Melissah.

      I am so sorry to hear about your migraines. My husband gets them as well, so I know the suffering you go through...hoping you find relief in the future. Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  16. I am so sorry to hear this. I just came over because I saw the name of your blog on Loi's blog, and I am doing a Nantucket series. I am feeling hopeful for your beautiful girl. Luckily she is so young and time is on her side with medical developments. Her spirit is beautiful and somehow there will be a bright side to all of this. She is my little hero for smiling all the other days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I am so very glad you stopped by. Thanks so much for your kind words and happy thoughts!

      Delete
  17. When I read what you shared, I thought of my mom's vertigo episodes and how debilitating they are. She tried different medications, ear checks, etc... The antivert comment reminded that my mom tried it, but the thing that really truly worked was chiropractic care. Our chiro is a neuro-chiro. More education than a regular chiro. The adjustments he did to help her specifically for vertigo really, really helped my mom. And I swear I've read about children getting chiro adjustments to help w/vomiting. Not the same type your daughter has, but wrenching nonetheless. Maybe something to look info if you haven't already?

    Wishing you and your little sweetie the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I will keep this in mind GiGi. Every idea is a good one. Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  18. Oh you amazing Mother!!! How you have the strength to be who YOU are is the amazing thing. She is so blessed to have you and she is such a sweet soul. I am glad the episodes are further apart but when they hit OH BOY. I feel for you. Thank you for sharing your story and helping others!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Well, you are one of my role models! I do hope to get the word out!

      Delete
  19. What a strange and terrible illness. I'm so glad the time intervals are getting longer and that you have found some tactics for dealing with it. Fingers crossed for a meaningful breakthrough very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. It is so peculiar! Thanks for your happy thoughts!

      Delete
  20. I am so sorry to hear about your little peanut....My daughter may possibly have CVS as well. She is 21 and has had 4 episodes in 7 mths. In the past we just figured it was the really bad flu. I can't imagine it happening at such a young age. Good luck and thank you so much for sharing!!!! The Best of Luck to C..... will keep her and your family in my prayers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...