9.04.2011

World of Dormia...A Great Family Read

My 12 year old son and I have been reading and re-reading an awesome series called Dormia by Jake Halpern and Peter Kujawinski. The first book, entitled Dormia, brings to life a cast of "sleepwalkers"....people who seem like you and I, yet have this fabulous ability to do difficult, unique, and amazing things while in a sleepwalking-like state.

The main character, Alfonso, a 12 year old boy, leads us on a journey in one of the best fantasy genre book series my son and I have ever read. Halpern and Kujawinski bring to life the characters and settings(such as the magical land of Dormia), in a way that literally takes your breath away. There is nothing better than a book that allows you to feel like you are truly walking alongside the characters, experiencing the thrills and adventures as they do in Dormia. Well maybe there is something better...Book 2, World's End.


World's End was soooooo engaging. The reader is reunited with Alfonso, now a teenager, and a cast which is a blend of old friends and new.This second book in the series will not let the reader down. Alfonso's adventures are bigger, better, more action packed. The authors have taken their character development to a whole new level, allowing the reader to make lifelong bonds to the characters. The settings conjure a bursting of the senses, allowing us to experience Alfonso's journey with a true connection. But be prepared, this book ends with a cliffhanger!!!

The third book in the series, The Shadow Tree is anxiously anticipated by Dormia fans. The website states to check back in a couple of months...not sure that this 12 year old, and 40 something year old can wait that long!

We would love to see this made into a movie. My son and I have already planned the full cast. We're here if you need us Mr. Halpern and Mr Kujawinski!

3 comments:

  1. Good for you for reading with your son...he'll remember if for a lifetime. When I think about it, so much of our family bonding happened during our reading sessions on the couch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh so lovely! You've reminded me of the summer I read the Narnia chronicles - I loved discussing them with my mum who'd already read them! Great memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much , I am always on a lookout for a fun fun family read.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...