6.25.2011

Keep Your Family's Skin Safe



I have always been proactive when it comes to using products I feel are safe for my family. From food to sunscreen, we spend a lot of time and effort making good choices. LONG before our daughter was diagnosed with Celiac Disease, our kids were reading labels for added colors, artificial flavors, and artificial sweeteners.

I have had true concerns about our sunscreen for a couple of years. We always used Water Babies on our fair skinned children. I would slather them down each morning in the summer...and also included water shirts in their wardrobe for a bit more coverage.

Late last summer I did a bit of investigating and changed to Jason sunscreen. It had great reviews, better ingredients...and smells AMAZING! I also picked up a tube of Badger...also highly reviewed, but a little more difficult to apply because it doesn't really rub in. It is not meant to be absorbed, but to act as a barrier. I guess that's one of the most important things I learned through my research, sunscreen is absorbed by the skin and often contains harmful chemicals, sunblock on the other hand, sits on the skin, acting as more of a physical barrier.

Recently I came across EWG, a site that allows you to enter the name of a cosmetic, skin care item, shampoo, sunscreen, etc...and then rates its safety. I used this site to choose sunscreens for my 12 and 7 year olds.

First I picked Jason Sunbrella Mineral Sunblock as our everyday lotion.
Next I picked a stick for my kids to carry with them everyday to apply to their faces in a pinch. My daughter carried one to school this year and applied it quickly before recess. I chose Adorable Baby Clear Sunscreen Stick. SPF 30. They LOVE the clear idea...no Casper impersonations.
I bought the Adorable Baby right on their site, and searched around a bit for the Jason. I know Whole Foods carries it, but I wanted to buy three tubes...so search around for a good price.

I hope this helps make your search a little easier. We want the best for our kids, and I know you want the best for yours as well.

(Please note these are just my opinions.)

4 comments:

  1. I have been using EWG for years and people always roll their eyes at me when I tell them the spf they are using is causing skin cancer! People dont seem to care that spf use has gone up...and so have skin cancer rates!

    We use Green Beaver that we buy at the health food store. http://www.greenbeaver.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the EWG heads up. I didn't know about the site. As we live on Nantucket we are very careful about staying out of the sun between 10 and 2. We like to go swimming every day but usually go after 5 pm. doesn't interrupt dinner as David doesn't get home till 7:30 most nights. Well, somebody has to take the kids to the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    I also use organic, nutrient based, & non toxic
    products from the # 1 nutrition company in the
    United States.

    I hope you have a chance to check out my blog soon.

    I'm a friend-follower of your blog.

    Hope your appointment went well the other day.

    Enjoy the sunshine!

    Best,

    Coastal Blue Ocean

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are sunscreen fanatics. I'll have to check this out. Heaven knows we keep that stuff in every nook and cranny of the house and truck...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...