8.31.2010

Lazy Man's Canning





My husband recently learned this trick from a colleague. I've tried it...and love it. It's so easy...and is a terrific way to keep up with the Romas that keep pouring in. Anytime a recipe calls for canned tomatoes, I will thaw in a pan of warm water, chop, etc...great for chili!

1.)Wash, cut off stem,
2.)Place in boiling water for about 2 minutes, or until skins start to look a little wrinkled.
3.)Using a slotted spoon, scoop into an ice bath.
4.)Remove skin.
5.)Place in freezer bags, squeeze out air. Freeze! (I have the "Frisper"...a machine that sucks most of the air out.)

Keep your fingers crossed that Earl goes out to sea...otherwise we will be eating lots of fried green tomatoes! (not to mention dealing with some pretty nasty weather).

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the easy tip! I've always had this romantic fantasy that I would learn how to can items one day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking of you and your family as Earl proceeds up the coast. You all are in its path although it should simmer down slightly.

    Be well,

    Bobby

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...