9.27.2009

My Daughter Made it Through

Those of you who have been following my blog for a while know that my daughter "C" suffers from Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS). Well, she experienced an episode Friday night.

We always know it's coming, because she has vertigo immediately upon waking...then we know the episode will come that night. So Friday morning she woke up with her world spinning. Then she was fine for full-day kindergarten. She played all afternoon and had regular dinner. But we knew it would be coming in the night, so we set ourselves up with: a bowl, a hair elastic, a cup of water, a wet facecloth, and a box of tissues. We've been doing this long enough that we know exactly what we need. I sleep with her on these nights, allowing her to stay in the bed and fall back to sleep immediately.

The episodes come on in the night, usually after midnight. This episode started at 1:00am, then at 2:00, 2:30, 3:00 etc all the way until morning. It's vomiting, nausea, and horrible dizziness. Somehow morning breaks the cycle. "C" was back to her regular self Saturday, just a bit tired (as was Mom). She'll have sporadic bits of vertigo for a few days, and then this spell will be behind her.

On a positive note, "C" went 71 days between episodes! HOORAY! That is the longest she has ever gone. She will be 6 in November, and I have been logging in her episodes since she was 3 years 5 months. We are hoping and praying that this is a sign that "C" will outgrow this migraine related disorder by her teens.

CVS is a very perplexing disorder. Imagine that we are able to put her due date on the calendar, and within a few days, there it is. Other children are triggered by food or stress. Not "C". She's a calendar kid.

I still plan on setting up an auction to support research(see my side bar).

My daughter is so brave.

PLEASE SEE MY POST BELOW TO JOING IN OUR FABULOUS GIFT EXCHANGE!

6 comments:

  1. I am so glad you both made it through the evening! I had never heard of this illness before reading about it on your blog. It is just so scary when our children are sick.

    Seashell had seizures when she was young (starting at 2) and the Dr. believed that she would grow out of them. When she turned 8 the Dr. wanted me to take her off of the meds, but I just couldn't do it. I could picture her at camp, in the lake, having a seizure. Well, the next year she had a changed EEG, we took her off the meds and thankfully she has never had another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so scary - the hardest thing as a parent is to see your child sick and/or hurting when there's just not much you can do about it. C is so lucky to have you as a mother - that you are doing so much to help her and know the disease so well that you have it down pat. Stinky, but she is lucky. C is brave...and so are you!

    And what exciting news on the time lapse between episodes...hope it keeps drawing out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry your daughter suffers from this illness. It is so painful to watch your child be ill. I too hope she will outgrow it! Take care and I hope you can catch up on a little rest!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI..thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope to inspire as much as I can...hope you enjoy it.

    tam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I've not heard of this before, it definitely sounds a bit scary. Glad she is okay from this episode . . . hope she outgrows it. I'll think good thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...