8.04.2009

Nature's Bounty

I haven't really written about our veggie garden yet...but after the amount of weeding I've done this week (10 hours easily)...well, it deserves to be written about. We've always had a garden. A modest garden. Plenty of peppers and eggplant and tomatoes to keep us and a few neighbors happy. But we wanted BIGGER...it's the American way after all, right?

So we now have as my five year old puts it, enough for our family to have half and give half to "the people". I'm not sure exactly who "the people" are...but I hope there are a lot of them. We've only been picking for about a week now because of our exceptionally rainy spring...and we already have more zucchini, summer squash, and cucumbers then we know what to do with.

How big is this garden you ask? Well, let's just start by saying we have 65 tomato plants. Yes, 65! Every variety you can imagine. And then we have a million varieties of peppers, eggplant, kale, summer squash, zucchini, acorn squash, hubbard squash, butternut squash, onions, basil, celery, radishes, pumpkins. Oh yes, I'm officially a farmer now. You should see me out there in my J Crew wellies, cargo shorts, t shirt, mud-smeared face. I keep the neighbors amused.

I'm keeping a tally as we pick. I though it would be kind of cool to see the actual yield of this monstrosity.

So if anyone wants to come do laundry, pick up toys, or unload the dishwasher while I'm weeding...just let me know.

I'll try to post a few pictures of "the farm" this week.

7 comments:

  1. WoW! Sounds like you have enough to open a farm stand! Maybe that's what he meant by enough for "the people" !!! (LOL!)
    Missed out on doing a garden this year so I would love to see the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How amazing! I wish I could live in a place that I could grow my own garden like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are bringing back memories of whole summer weekends spent canning tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the farm stand idea! My garden has done so poorly this year from all the rain and bugs ~ I'm ready to call it a loss and hope for better next year.

    Enjoy your bounty~
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how wonderful-- except for the weeding! The wet July certainly did a lot for our weeds too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I am SO jealous. We're renting, so I did veggie POTS. So far, I've gotten ONE zucchini. It was great, but I'm bummed I haven't gotten more yet. Next year, hopefully after we OWN, I'll be able to plant an actual garden. I'd love to take some of those veggie's off your hands, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would love to see pictures of your "farm"!!! we have a patch between with detached garage and the fence that is about 6 ft wide and the length of the garage with full sun, so that's where we put our veggie garden - but we are a WAY smaller scale than you. I am jealous. (but I am looking forward to the tomatoes that ripened while I was on vacation...)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...