3.10.2009

Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS)




My daughter experienced another episode of CVS yesterday. She is five years old and was diagnosed with this unforgiving syndrome at the age of three; although we can trace it back to infancy.

Cyclic Vomiting is recurrent bouts of vomiting. It is thought to have a connection to migraines, and is often referred to as abdominal migraine. Many of the children, ( and adults), experiencing this syndrome have a family history of migraine, (as does my daughter).

CVS episodes are often times triggered by stress ...even good stress, like Christmas, the first day of school, or a birthday. Certain foods, like cheese, chocolate, or foods containing MSG can also be triggers. Other children (like Cal), are called "Calendar Kids", because they don't seem to have a particular trigger, other than time. Cal's episodes used to be 8 weeks apart. Not 7 weeks, 6 days...but 8 weeks to the day. Yes, we would put it on the calendar, and wait for it. Cal's episodes are now somewhere between 9 and 10 weeks apart.

We're "lucky" compared to other families experiencing CVS. Some children vomit so violently, and often that they frequently end up hospitalized. Cal has terrible vertigo the morning an attack is coming, is then fine all day...and once she falls asleep that night, the vomiting begins. It usually happens once an hour for the entire night. Once morning arrives, the cycle is broken. Cal has vertigo for 2-3 days, and then another 9 weeks pass before another episode. Some children have episodes that last for days.

Click this link to read more or to make a donation to a worthy cause.

www.cvsaonline.org

6 comments:

  1. Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that she's been sick! I've never heard of CVS before this. I hope she feels better soon...I will be praying for her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard of this. Kristin Koch, a teenager here in Fairfield, CT, organized an annual fund-raising walk for CVS. She has raised alot of money in the last few years and brought awareness to this awful disorder. I wish you and your child all the best, and I hope they find a cure someday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your kind thoughts. I had heard about that walk at the conference in Boston. Thanks for the positive thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister had this when we were growing up. Oh, it was horrible. I remember going to the other end of the house during the episodes and putting a pillow over my head because it was so violent and hard to listen to. That was back in the 1980s. I'm surprised they haven't found a cure yet. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for chatting!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...